Erik S. Fisk
As a member at Whitfield & Eddy Law, Erik Fisk has experience in real estate, business and employment law, business litigation, construction, debtor/creditor, and family law issues. He is the current chair of the Iowa State Bar Association Real Estate Section.
Risk Management and Litigation
Erik helps individuals and companies manage the practical side of risk — from the world of organization, compliance, contracting, personnel, and policymaking through litigation in both state and federal court.
Human Resources Emphasis
Erik is also a certified SPHR (Senior Professional in Human Resources), with the experience and skill to evaluate the implications that disputes, problem employees, training issues, or a letter from OSHA force on his clients.
Training and Presentations
In addition to teaching at the university level, Erik has extensive training experience and is a frequent speaker on legal issues.
Of Particular Note:
- Two favorable Polk County jury trial verdicts in 2011
- Summary judgment entered on five of Plaintiffs’ seven claims in multi-party, multi-million dollar alleged product defect dispute in 2011
- Summary judgment entered, dismissing claims against Defendant that had been pending for six years before Erik’s involvement
Awards and Recognitions
- Polk County Bar Association Volunteer Lawyers Project: recognized for 50 or more pro bono work hours in 2014-2015
- Selected for inclusion in the Great Plains Super Lawyers in the area of Employment & Labor (Rising Stars: 2015-2017)
- Lorman Education Services Distinguished Faculty
Experience & Professional Activities
- Member with Whitfield & Eddy, P.L.C., 2012-
- Chair, Whitfield & Eddy Labor & Employment Law Practice Group, 2016
- Associate with Whitfield & Eddy, P.L.C., 2005-2011
- Associate Instructor of Public Speaking, Indiana University, 1999-2000
Professional Activities and Affiliations:
- International Association of Defense Counsel Trial Academy 2011
- American Bar Association (Chair, Real Estate Section, 2016; Sections: Labor & Employment Law; Litigation; Public Contract Law; Forum on the Construction Industry)
- Iowa State Bar Association (Sections: Business Law; Real Estate and Title Law; Environmental and Natural Resources)
- Order of the Coif
- Polk County Bar Association
Seminars Recently Attended:
- Iowa State Bar Association Annual Meeting, June 2017
Cases, Presentations & Publications
- Hurm v. Dubuque Glass Co., 2012 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 60822 (N.D. Iowa May 1, 2012)
- Nationwide Agribusiness Ins. Co. v. SMA Elevator Constr., Inc., 816 F. Supp. 2d 631, 637 (N.D. Iowa 2011)
- Merfeld v. Warren County Health Servs., 597 F. Supp. 2d 942 (S.D. Iowa 2009)
- AAA Elec., Inc. v. Agriprocessors, Inc., 2008 Iowa App. LEXIS 1180 (Iowa Ct. App. October 1, 2008)
- Heartland Specialty Foods v. Johnson, 731 N.W.2d 397 (Iowa Ct. App. 2007)
Selected Publications, Presentations and Teaching Appointments:
- Presenter, "Environmental Issues in Real Estate Transactions," National Business Institute, December 2016.
- Presenter, "Family Law Habeas Corpus Proceedings," Iowa State Bar Association Family Law Seminar, October 2016.
- Presenter, "Planning and Zoning (Part 1 and 2)," Iowa State Bar Association Annual Meeting, June 2016.
- Presenter, "Planning Board/Zoning Board Appeal Hearings and Challenging Adverse Decisions," National Business Institute, December 2015.
- Presenter, "Resolving Disputes Over Land Use Code Violations," National Business Institute, December 2015.
- Presenter, "Guns in the Workplace," Iowa Chapter of the Association of Corporate Counsel (ACC), September 2014.
- Presenter, “Construction and Industrial Stormwater Permitting,” Lorman Seminar, January 30, 2014.
- Presenter, “Recent FMLA Developments,” FMLA Master Class for Iowa Employers, December 17, 2013.
- Presenter, “Military Family Leave: Current and Future Obligations,” FMLA Master Class for Iowa Employers, December 17, 2013.
- Presenter,”Weather-Related Absenteeism: Policies, Payroll Adjustments, Telecommuting, and More,” National Webinar hosted by Business and Legal Resources, November 12, 2013.
- Presenter, “Employment Law for the Super HR Department,” Legal Support Professionals of Iowa, October 19, 2013.
- Presenter, “Guns-at-Work Laws: A Legal Obligation and Liability Primer for Employers,” a national webinar sponsored by Business and Legal Resources (BLR), April 2013.
- Contributor, 50 States Employment Laws, Business and Legal Resources (BLR), 2012.
- Co-editor (Iowa), State-by-State Guide to Construction Contracts and Claims, Aspen Publishers, 2007-Present.
- “Environmental Issues — Contaminated Property Transactions,” National Business Institute’s Advanced Issues in Real Estate Law Seminar, December 2012.
- “FLSA/Wage-Hour Crackdown,” Sterling Education Services Advanced Employment Law Seminar, November 2012.
- “Divorce in the Cloud — Cloud Computing Issues in Family Law,” Iowa State Bar Association Family Law Seminar, November 2012.
- “Legal Updates: Overview of Contract Principles,” National Business Institute, June 2009.
- “Iowa Contracts Update,” Whitfield & Eddy Litigation Section Meeting, May 2009.
- “Is An LLC Right For You?,” National Business Institute, May 2008.
- “Local MBE/DBE Requirements,” National Business Institute, 2008.
- Author, “The ‘I’m Sorry’ Law: A New Instrument for Professionals and the Defense,” Defense Update: The Iowa Defense Counsel Association Newsletter, Spring 2007.
- Co-author, “E-mail, Public Records, and Public Meetings Statutes: Public Employee Privacy in Cyberspace,” Access to Government in the Computer Age, American Bar Association, 2007.
- Adjunct Instructor of Public Speaking, Des Moines Area Community College, 2005-06.
- Author, “Stigma Damages in Construction Defect Litigation: Feared by Defendants, Championed by Plaintiffs, Awarded by (Almost) No Courts – What Gives?” Drake Law Review, Volume 53:4, 2005.
Civic & Volunteer Activities
- Polk County Bar Association Volunteer Lawyers Project
J.D. Drake University Law School, with highest honors, 2005 (Dwight D. Opperman Scholar, 2002-2005; Projects Editor: Drake Law Review, 2004-2005) M.A. Indiana University, 2000
B.A. Drake University, summa cum laude, 1999 (Phi Beta Kappa Society)