Diversity & Inclusion
We are dedicated to creating an inclusive environment where we value and embrace differences. Individuals with diverse backgrounds, cultures, and life experiences make our firm stronger. We encourage hiring and retention of current and former members of the armed services, women, and lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender individuals. When we bring together talented individuals and embrace their perspectives, we are more effective at addressing our clients’ complex and sophisticated matters.
Law Opportunity Leadership Program
Whitfield & Eddy is a founding partner in the Drake Law School’s Law Opportunity Leadership Program. This important program provides law students from underrepresented groups with mentorship, leadership training, and guaranteed internships with Des Moines-based companies and law firms.
Pro Bono, Nonprofit and Professional Associations
In addition, many of our lawyers volunteer their time with nonprofit organizations and professional associations that promote service racial, ethnic, and gender diversity in the legal profession. These include the Polk County Bar Association Volunteer Lawyers Project, Polk County Women Attorneys, Commercial Real Estate Women (CREW), and the Iowa Organization of Women Attorneys, among others.
Veterans at Whitfield & Eddy
We are committed to hiring current and former members of the armed services and proud to employ a number of attorneys who have bravely served our country. We salute them for their selfless service for our country and for risking their lives to protect our freedoms.
- S. Luke Craven: U.S. Army Reserves, enlisted, legal specialist, 1998—2000; Iowa Army National Guard, ROTC cadet, 2000—2001; Iowa Army National Guard, commissioned officer (Aviation), 2001—2003; U.S. Army, commissioned officer (Aviation, including service in Operation Iraqi Freedom tour, 2005—2007), 2003—2007; Iowa Army National Guard, commissioned officer (Aviation), 2007—2008
- Gary Gately: U.S. Army, active duty, 1957—1958
- Thomas S. Reavely: U.S. Army Reserve, colonel (retired), JAGC, 1968—1998
- Bernard L. “Jerry” Spaeth Jr.: U.S. Air Force, judge advocate and captain, certified trial and defense counsel, 1974—1978
- John A. Templer Jr.: U.S. Army, 1969—1971