Clark Butler is an associate attorney practicing in the firm’s litigation practice group assisting in commercial litigation and employment law. He assists in family law matters including divorce, child custody, and modifications for attorneys in the family law practice group.
Prior to receiving his J.D., Clark was a law clerk at Whitfield & Eddy Law, during which time he co-authored appellate briefs, and was published as a co-author in both the American Bar Association’s Fidelity and Surety Law section as well as the Iowa Defense Counsel Association’s quarterly update. Clark also provided other legal research and writing for attorneys and clients in various practice areas, including products liability, transportation, appellate practice, and family law. He was also a law intern at the Wells Fargo, N.A., Legal Department in Des Moines and assisted inside counsel with general matters and Consumer Financial Protection Bureau policies.
He developed a practice in family law and children’s rights as a student attorney with the Children’s Rights Clinic at Drake University Law School. He co-authored a winning appellate brief with his supervising attorney and gained trial experience through his efforts at examining witnesses and co-chairing cases. During the spring semester of his 2L year, Clark also had the opportunity to clerk in the juvenile court system for the Honorable Romonda Belcher, a District Associate Judge in Polk County, Iowa.
At Drake University Law School, he was the 2021 recipient of the Justice Daryl Hecht Award and a 2019 Cady Law Opportunity Fellow. Clark was on the Dean’s List for a number of semesters and was a CALI Academic Achievement Award winner in multiple courses. He was active in the Student Bar Association as the Diversity Representative, a Law School Admissions Ambassador, and a Delta Theta Phi Law Fraternity Member.
- Associate Attorney, Whitfield & Eddy Law, 2021—present
- Law Clerk, Whitfield & Eddy Law, 2019—2021
- Law Intern, Wells Fargo, N.A., 2019
News & Events
- Fidelity & Surety Law Committee Newsletter (of ABA-TIPS), 08.23.2021
- Divorce, Family Law and Employment Update: Roll Up Your Sleeve (COVID-19 Vaccines, Vaccines and Iowa Law)01.25.2021
- Employment Law Update: Eighth Circuit Concludes Kastigar Materials Not Shielded from Grand Jury Subpoena08.19.2020
- Reynolds Publishes "A 10-Year View of the Restatement (Third) of Torts, Liability for Physical or Emotional Harm in Iowa"Iowa Defense Counsel Association Defense Update, 07.01.2020
- Transportation Law Update: Eighth Circuit Holds Carmack Amendment Not a Bar to Personal Injury Claim04.21.2020
- Iowa Defense Counsel Association Defense Update, 11.27.2019
- Polk County Bar Association
- Iowa State Bar Association