Jennifer Drake enjoys shaping our metropolitan area. She represents banks, commercial and residential real estate owners, developers, brokers, property managers, and financial institutions. Jennifer has extensive experience in acquisitions, dispositions, negotiations, contracts, leases, and financial transactions from serving as in-house counsel for a major real estate company.
Additionally, she represents financial institutions, credit institutions, and other lenders in commercial transactions. She has experience in a range of lending matters, including asset-based lending, acquisition financing, real estate lending, project financing, and traditional commercial lending.
She works on behalf of her clients before city councils, zoning boards, and state regulatory agencies by drafting and submitting rezoning requests, platting documents, covenants, and development agreements. Jennifer is able to assist a wide variety of clients in all areas of residential and commercial real estate transactions including title opinions, buy-sell agreements, and related matters. She also assists lenders with a range of matters including asset-based lending, real estate lending, project financing, and more.
Prior to joining Whitfield & Eddy, she was Associate General Counsel of a diversified real estate company with interests in commercial construction, development services, property management, brokerage, and home building. In this capacity, she was responsible for legal issues associated with a significant number of projects throughout the Des Moines metro area and central Iowa.
Jennifer serves as co-chair of the firm's Real Estate practice group.
- Co-Chair, Whitfield & Eddy Law Real Estate Practice Group, 2017—present
- Member, Whitfield & Eddy Law Business Development Committee, 2017—present
- Member Attorney, Whitfield & Eddy Law, 2017—present
- Attorney at Law, Whitfield & Eddy Law, 2016—2017
- Associate General Counsel, Hubbell Realty Company, 2004—2016
- Intern, Iowa District Court Probate Judge Ruth B. Klotz, 2003
Activities and Affiliations
- American Bar Association, Member of Real Property, Trust and Estate Law Section
- Iowa State Bar Association (Sections: Real Estate and Title Law; Business Law; Construction Law; Corporate Counsel Committee Member)
- Polk County Bar Association
- Member, Building Owners and Managers Association of Iowa
- Member, Commercial Real Estate Women
- Member, Homebuilders Association of Greater Des Moines
- Member, Iowa Commercial Real Estate Association
- West Des Moines Leadership Academy 2016—2017
- General Practice Review CLE, Drake Law School, December, 2018
- Iowa Commercial Real Estate Expo, September 2017
- Land Investment Expo, January 2017
- Iowa Commercial Real Estate Expo, Iowa Chapter of the CCIM Institute and the Iowa Commercial Real Estate Association, September 2016
News & Events
Honors & Recognitions
Honors & Recognitions
- Selected for inclusion in the Best Lawyers in America as a top-ranked attorney in Real Estate Law (2019)
- Commissioner, West Des Moines Planning and Zoning Commission, 2018—present
- Secretary and Board Member, West Des Moines Community Enrichment Foundation, 2015—2018
- Board of Directors, West Des Moines Chamber of Commerce, 2016—2018
- Board of Directors, Commercial Real Estate Women, 2018
- Board of Trustees, West Des Moines Public Library, 2017
- Member and Chairperson, West Des Moines Board of Adjustment, 2010—2015
Drake University Law School, J.D., 2003
Drake University, M.P.A., 2003, Pi Alpha Alpha member
Drake University, B.A., 1998