Kara is recognized as a leader in the real estate community and provides representation to banks, insurance companies, and other financial institutions. Her daily work involves structuring and negotiating loan transactions, including mortgage financing on commercial and agricultural property. She also assists lenders with abstract and title commitment review, title opinions, and clearing of title objections. She regularly provides updates and continuing education to clients and industry associations on real estate matters.
In addition, Kara works with closely-held businesses and engages in providing clients advice on general business structure and formalities along with asset purchase and merger representation.
Kara is the chairperson for the firm’s the Business and Banking practice group and has also been recognized in the 2010-2018 editions of Chambers USA: America’s Leading Lawyers for Business. Kara has been praised by peers as “well respected and professional, with great legal expertise.” She also worked with the deal team for the seller that subsequently received the 2011 10th Annual M&A Advisor Lower Middle-Market Deal of the Year Award.
Kara is an author and speaker about mindfulness and meditation to members of the legal community. Her background as a certified yoga teacher with over 200 hours of training allows her to connect with peers about adopting practices, tips, and tricks to improve productivity and relationships and reduce stress.
- Ongoing representation, with colleague Nicholas Cooper, of the agricultural investments division of a U.S. life insurance company with regard to agricultural loan transactions across the Midwest totaling more than $600 million dollars in 2018.
- Member Attorney, Whitfield & Eddy, P.L.C., 2008—present
- Chair, Whitfield & Eddy P.L.C. Business and Banking Practice Group, 2015—present
- Associate Attorney, Whitfield & Eddy, P.L.C., 2002—2008
Activities and Affiliations
- Greater Des Moines Leadership Institute Graduate, 2007
- Iowa Organization of Women Attorneys
- Iowa State Bar Association (Chair: Young Lawyers’ Division’s Know Your Constitution Committee, 2005—2007; Sections: Business Law; Commercial & Bankruptcy Law; Real Estate & Title Law)
- Polk County Bar Association
- The 2019 Real Estate Institute, St. Paul, MN, November 2019
- The 2018 Real Estate Institute, St. Paul, MN, November 2018
- The 2017 Real Estate Institute, St. Paul, MN, November 2017
News & Events
- The Iowa Lawyer, 06.19.2019
Events & Speaking Engagements
- St. Paul, Minnesota, 11.01.2019
Honors & Recognitions
Honors & Recognitions
- Selected for inclusion in Chambers USA: America’s Leading Lawyers for Business as a Leading Individual Lawyer in Real Estate (2010—2019)
- Selected for inclusion in the Best Lawyers in America as a top-ranked attorney in Bankruptcy and Creditor Debtor Rights / Insolvency and Reorganization Law (2013—2020), and Real Estate Law (2018-2020)
- Selected for inclusion in 2013 Great Plains Super Lawyers in the field of Real Estate (Rising Stars: 2013)
- Presenter, "Title Opinions Vs. Title Policy," The Risk Management Association Central Iowa Chapter
- Presenter, “Title Commitments and Title Exams,” Private Client Seminar
- Presenter, “Uniform Commercial Code (UCC) Financing Statements and Common Issues,” Private Client Seminar
- Presenter, “Title Guaranty: 2nd Annual Regional Academies,” Des Moines
- Presenter, “Business Law Update,” Drake University Law School General Practice Review, Des Moines, Iowa
- Presenter, “Foreclosure and Debt Collection,” Polk County Bar Association General Practice CLE, Des Moines, Iowa
- Presenter, “Successful Judgment Collections in Iowa”
- Presenter, “Exit Rights in Iowa LLCs,” University of Iowa Business Law CLE, Iowa City, Iowa
- Presenter, “Ins and Outs of Limited Liability Companies in Iowa"
- Presenter, “Mortgage Foreclosures in Iowa”
Drake University Law School, J.D., 2002, with highest honors
- Order of the Coif
- Articles Editor, Drake Law Review, 2001-2002
University of Iowa, B.A., 1995, with honors