Kara is recognized as a leader in the real estate community and provides representation to banks, insurance companies, and other financial institutions. Her daily work involves structuring and negotiating loan transactions, including mortgage financing on commercial and agricultural property. She also assists lenders with abstract and title commitment review, title opinions, and clearing of title objections. She regularly provides updates and continuing education to clients and industry associations on real estate matters.
In addition, Kara works with closely-held businesses and engages in providing clients advice on general business structure and formalities along with asset purchase and merger representation.
Kara is the chairperson for the firm’s the Business and Banking practice group and is an active member in the Commercial Real Estate Women Iowa (CREW).
She has also been recognized in the 2010-2018 editions of Chambers USA: America’s Leading Lawyers for Business. Kara has been praised by peers as “well respected and professional, with great legal expertise.” She also worked with the deal team for the seller that subsequently received the 2011 10th Annual M&A Advisor Lower Middle-Market Deal of the Year Award.
- In 2016, Kara supervised a team responsible for documenting $499 million in commercial real estate loans.
- Member Attorney, Whitfield & Eddy, P.L.C., 2008—present
- Chair, Whitfield & Eddy P.L.C. Business and Banking Practice Group, 2015—present
- Associate Attorney, Whitfield & Eddy, P.L.C., 2002—2008
Activities and Affiliations
- Greater Des Moines Leadership Institute Graduate, 2007
- Iowa Organization of Women Attorneys
- Iowa State Bar Association (Chair: Young Lawyers’ Division’s Know Your Constitution Committee, 2005—2007; Sections: Business Law; Commercial & Bankruptcy Law; Real Estate & Title Law)
- Polk County Bar Association
- Polk County Women Attorneys
- Member, Commercial Real Estate Women
- The 2017 Real Estate Institute, St. Paul, MN, November 2017
News & Events
Events & Speaking Engagements
Honors & Recognitions
Honors & Recognitions
- Selected for inclusion in Chambers USA: America’s Leading Lawyers for Business as a Leading Individual Lawyer in Real Estate (2010—2018)
- Selected for inclusion in the Best Lawyers in America as a top-ranked attorney in Bankruptcy and Creditor Debtor Rights / Insolvency and Reorganization Law (2013—2019), and Real Estate Law (2018-2019)
- Selected for inclusion in 2013 Great Plains Super Lawyers in the field of Real Estate (Rising Stars: 2013)
- Presenter, "Title Opinions Vs. Title Policy," The Risk Management Association Central Iowa Chapter
- Presenter, “Title Commitments and Title Exams,” Private Client Seminar
- Presenter, “Uniform Commercial Code (UCC) Financing Statements and Common Issues,” Private Client Seminar
- Presenter, “Title Guaranty: 2nd Annual Regional Academies,” Des Moines
- Presenter, “Business Law Update,” Drake University Law School General Practice Review, Des Moines, Iowa
- Presenter, “Foreclosure and Debt Collection,” Polk County Bar Association General Practice CLE, Des Moines, Iowa
- Presenter, “Successful Judgment Collections in Iowa”
- Presenter, “Exit Rights in Iowa LLCs,” University of Iowa Business Law CLE, Iowa City, Iowa
- Presenter, “Ins and Outs of Limited Liability Companies in Iowa"
- Presenter, “Mortgage Foreclosures in Iowa”
Drake University Law School, J.D., 2002, with highest honors
- Order of the Coif
- Articles Editor, Drake Law Review, 2001-2002
University of Iowa, B.A., 1995, with honors
U.S. District Court – Southern District of Iowa
U.S. District Court – Northern District of Iowa