Van Everett provides a realistic and attentive approach to clients in family law matters. He regularly works with individuals on highly contentious divorces, child custody matters, child support disputes, spousal support disputes, contempt actions, and modifications of prior court orders.
Navigating the legal and emotional issues that arise in family law matters requires a steady guide. Van patiently counsels his clients in order to understand their needs, explain relevant legal processes, and ultimately reach effective solutions.
He understands the importance of negotiation in family law matters and the differences in outcomes clients can experience through settlement compared to litigation in court. He educates his clients so they can make an informed decision on any potential settlement. As a trial attorney, Van is prepared to advocate for his clients in the courtroom when necessary.
There are alternatives to litigation that can avoid the difficulties of the traditional legal process. Van can provide guidance and insight concerning these forms of alternative dispute resolution. He is trained and certified to mediate family law cases, which brings parties together to reach agreements and settlement.
Additionally, he is trained to practice Collaborative Divorce, where the couple commits to a problem-solving approach that focuses on positive communication.
- Associate Attorney, Whitfield & Eddy, P.L.C., 2012—present
- Co-chair, Whitfield & Eddy Litigation Practice Group, 2016—2017
- Law Clerk, Whitfield & Eddy, P.L.C., Summer 2011
Activities and Affiliations
- Iowa State Bar Association Young Lawyers’ Division Executive Board
- Co-Chair, Mock Trial Committee, 2016—present
- District 5C Representative 2015—2017
- At-Large Member, 2014
- Iowa State Bar Association
- Polk County Bar Association
- Co-Chair YLD Committee, 2016—present
- American Inns of Court (Blackstone Inn of Court)
- West Des Moines Leadership Academy, 2017—2018
- Iowa State Bar Association Annual Meeting, June 2018
- Iowa State Bar Association Bench-Bar Conference, May 2018
- Family Law Seminar, Iowa State Bar Association, October 2017
- Iowa State Bar Association Annual Meeting, June 2017
- Collaborative Law Training, February 2017
- Iowa State Bar Association Bench-Bar Conference, May 2016
- Institute for Family Law Associates, American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers (AAML), June 2014
News & Events
Honors & Recognitions
Honors & Recognitions
- Selected for inclusion in the Great Plains Super Lawyers in the area of Family Law (Rising Stars: 2016—2017)
- Polk County Bar Association Volunteer Lawyers Project: recognized for 50 or more pro bono work hours in 2012—2013, 2014—2015, 2016—2017