Anjela Shutts Appointed to Iowa Access To Justice Commission
Whitfield & Eddy attorney Anjela Shutts will serve as vice chair of the Iowa Access to Justice Commission. The Iowa Supreme Court, upon recommendation of the Iowa State Bar Association, established the Commission to "find solutions that will best serve Iowans who may encounter barrier or difficulties with fully accessing the Iowa justice system."
The scope of the Commission includes:
- Identify and assess the current and future needs of low-income Iowans for access to justice in civil matters by conducting a study of unmet legal needs.
- Foster collaboration among private lawyers, the legal services community, Iowa's law schools, not-for profit organizations and other community service providers.
- Explore initiatives designed to expand civil access to justice.
- Propose recommendations on innovative ways of promoting access to justice for individuals who cannot afford legal counsel.
- Identify changes in court rules, procedures and policies that may reduce barriers to Iowa's justice system.
The Honorable Brent Appel, Justice, Iowa Supreme Court will serve as chair.