Litigation Legal Assistant
Date posted: June 5, 2023. To apply: Please send resume to Recruiting@WhitfieldLaw.com
Whitfield & Eddy Law is seeking an experienced Litigation Legal Assistant to support 2 to 3 attorneys in our Des Moines office. Previous experience providing legal assistant support to litigation attorneys is required. Areas of law may include product liability, real estate, insurance defense, construction, or other areas.
- Produce legal documents from attorney verbal and/or written instructions, which may include transcribing digital dictation and drafts.
- Proofread legal documents such as briefs, complaints, discovery responses, motions, and correspondence for proper formatting, grammar, and inclusion of all other necessary documents and information.
- Assist in preparation for depositions, trials, and post-trial submissions, including appeals.
- Timely processing of time sensitive state and federal filings.
- Open and maintain legal files, and provide case management assistance to include organizing and managing multiple cases, document management, maintenance of case files electronically and/or hard copy as required with scanning, copying, and filing.
- Maintain attorney email and calendars to include appointments, docket court deadlines, meetings, etc., and keep attorney up-to-date and informed of pending aspects accordingly.
- Communicate directly with clients, witnesses, and court officials. Work closely with clients, other staff, and attorneys in order to assist with and/or complete discovery requests and responses. Compile data for exhibits, correspondence, and reports.
- Communicate with potential new clients to collect contact and case information needed to perform a conflict search and schedule an initial attorney conference.
- Assist attorneys with billing and other accounting tasks.
- May work with Abstracts of Title and Title Opinions, and prepare real estate closing and transfer documents.
- Perform back-up responsibilities in support of other legal assistants and other projects and duties as assigned.
- Minimum of 3 years of litigation legal assistant experience in a law firm or corporate legal department. Bachelor degree and/or paralegal degree preferred.
- Experience and knowledge of, or the ability to quickly learn, electronic filing requirements and completion of such, and software and resources such as Surepoint, iManage, Big Hand, etc.
- Excellent time management, organizational, and communication skills - both oral and written.
- Strong technical computer skills to include proficiency in MS Word, pdf conversion software, formatting documents, redlining, redacting, and e-filing.
- Attention to detail, proficiency in proofreading own work, ability to work independently.
- Working knowledge of legal terminology in various practice areas.
- Ability to organize and manage multiple cases.
- Ability to maintain professionalism and confidentiality with discretion and tact with clients and co-workers.
- Ability to be a team player and work cooperatively and effectively with other attorneys and staff.
- Preferred - Familiarity with real estate closing documents/procedures for closing.
- Ability to lift up to 5 to 15 pounds.
How to apply
Please send resume to Recruiting@WhitfieldLaw.com