Whitfield & Eddy Law has openings for two full-time Legal Assistants. The Legal Assistant position supports one to three assigned attorneys with varied practice areas. Experience in Family Law, Business and Banking, and/or Litigation is desirable.
- Proofread legal documents and correspondence such as briefs, complaints, discovery responses, motions, etc., which may also include transcribing digital dictation and drafts;
- Coordinate and arrange for depositions of parties and witnesses – including scheduling a court reporter;
- Maintain calendars to include appointments, docket court deadlines, meetings, etc., and keep attorney up to date and informed of pending aspects accordingly;
- Process time sensitive state and federal court filings with timeliness;
- Document management and maintenance of case files electronically and/or hard copy as required by organizing, scanning, copying, and filing documents;
- Compile data for exhibits, correspondence, and reports as needed;
- Ensure billing hours recorded by the attorney(s) are immediately and accurately entered into the billing system;
- Manage mail, email, and phone as needed or requested for the attorney(s) and respond to inquiries from clients;
- Communicate with potential new clients to collect contact and case information needed to perform a conflict search and schedule an initial attorney conference;
- Complete all tasks and work assigned with a high level of professionalism and confidentiality
- At least two years of experience as a legal assistant or other legal administrative work; or at least five years of significant administrative assistant work for individuals in a manager or executive role
- At least a two-year college degree preferred or equivalent experience, four-year degree preferred
- Proven ability to maintain professionalism and confidentiality in all matters
- Excellent skills in the following:
- Computer proficiency
- Grammar, punctuation, and spelling skills
- Interpersonal skills with the ability to collaborate effectively
- Organization (ability to organize, plan, and prioritize work per deadlines as directed)
- Time management
- Experience and knowledge of or the ability to quickly learn:
- Electronic filing requirements and completion of such
- Specialized software and resources such as Surepoint, iManage, Aderant, Big Hand, etc.
Whitfield & Eddy Law, located in Hub Tower in downtown Des Moines, was established in 1928. We are a forty-plus attorney law practice in downtown Des Moines. We work within diverse areas of law including arbitration and mediation, litigation, employment law, insurance, construction, business, banking, real estate, and family law.
Whitfield & Eddy offers a competitive benefits package including health benefits, PTO, and 401k match (and possible additional employer contribution), convenient garage parking, career growth potential, friendly environment, and much more! EOE.
Submit resume, cover letter, and desired salary range in confidence to email@example.com.