Labor and Employment Law for Business, Government, and Professionals
Our Labor & Employment group offers clients comprehensive litigation, counseling, and training services related to employment issues. We work with a range of businesses, from small businesses to publicly traded companies and public sector entities. Our attorneys support industries such as manufacturing, financial services, insurance, food processing, transportation, banks, financial cooperatives, and nonprofits, among others. We also represent municipal and county governmental entities across Iowa.
We strive to understand your business so we can respond quickly to challenges and develop solutions on matters including day-to-day employee issues, employee handbooks, protection of proprietary and confidential information, drafting or enforcing non-compete agreements, wage-hour investigations and litigation, safety and health law, discrimination and harassment matters, Family Medical Leave, drug testing, professional licensure matters, whistleblowers, and unemployment proceedings
Our attorneys have experience handling all types of employment litigation and administrative agency practice before state and federal courts, professional boards, and administrative agencies. They are also asked to lead internal investigations of employee complaints or regulatory issues.
While we are effective at resolving employment claims when they occur, we are equally proactive about working with our clients to avoid liabilities. Our team provides training and presentations on a wide range of labor and employment law topics at national, state, and local seminars, as well as at individual client locations. We stay on top of the latest changes in federal and state labor law and policies, monitoring cases before courts and many agencies. We go the extra mile in order to advise our clients on employment best practices. Many of the members of this practice group have been published in industry, bar, and academic publications.
Honors & Awards
- Ranked in Labor & Employment – Iowa, Chambers USA, 2003-2019
- “Best Law Firm” in the areas of Employment Law – Management, Labor Law – Management, Employment Law – Individuals, and Litigation – Labor & Employment, The Best Lawyers in America, 2014-2018
News & Events
- Transportation Law Update: Federal District Court Enjoins California Statute Regarding Independent Contractors02.05.2020
- Labor & Employment Law Update: DOL Publishes New Guidance on Overtime Pay for Commissioned Employees09.18.2019
- Transportation Law Update: U.S. Department of Labor Issues New Wage and Hour Opinion Letter Regarding Sleeper Berths07.24.2019
- Transportation Law Update: Court of Appeals Affirms Decision Denying Second Suit - Driver Subject to Joint Employer Rule01.28.2019
- Construction Law Update: Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals: Employees Have Burden of Proof Under New Legislation09.04.2018
- Transportation Law Update: United States Court of Appeals for First Circuit Holds Prohibition on Arbitration Extends to Independent Contractors06.21.2018
Events & Speaking Engagements
- Jacksonville, Florida, 03.24.2020
- New York, New York, 06.13.2018