Labor and Employment Law for Business, Government, and Professionals
Labor and Employment Lawyers in Des Moines, Iowa
At Whitfield & Eddy, our dedicated Labor and Employment practice group provides comprehensive counseling, training, and litigation services for businesses dealing with a range of employment-related legal issues. Our employment lawyers work with businesses of all sizes, from small, locally-owned enterprises to corporations traded on the public market. We also provide counsel to municipalities and governmental agencies throughout the state of Iowa.
Our team of attorneys provides proactive legal support for a wide spectrum of industries in the commercial sector, including:
- Community banks and credit unions
- Manufacturers and distribution companies
- Insurance companies
- Non-profit entities
- Food processors
- Financial service providers
- Transportation and logistics businesses
- Construction Companies
- Medical, legal, and accounting professionals
Your Complete Labor Law Firm in Des Moines and Mount Pleasant
We have over 90 years of continued service working with Iowa businesses of all sizes. Our labor and employment lawyers in Des Moines, Iowa handle the complete range of litigation and administrative issues and appear before state and federal courts, professional boards, regulatory bodies, and more. Businesses trust our employment lawyers to lead internal investigations into employee complaints and claims of regulatory non-compliance.
Our comprehensive labor and employment litigation services include:
- Wrongful termination: We represent firms facing wrongful termination claims. Our lawyers have years of experience handling such cases throughout the state of Iowa and beyond, so we know how to help employers preserve their assets and reputation when confronted with claims.
- Whistleblower claims: When an employee abuses whistleblower protection to claim wrongful discipline or termination for reporting an issue or objecting to a workplace practice, it can lead to costly fallout and poor public relations. We aggressively defend your business against these damaging claims.
- Harassment and discrimination: Our attorneys will help your business respond to, harassment and discrimination claims. If your company is facing allegations of discriminatory treatment from a current or past employee, our lawyers can help.
- Wage and payment disputes: Employees who feel their compensation is not commensurate with their labor are free to file claims disputing their wages, forcing you to defend your position. We know the law, and have experience defending such claims with the Department of Labor and in court.
Proactive Employment Lawyers in Des Moines, Iowa
In addition to our litigation services, we provide legal solutions designed to fit your business. Let us handle the complex legal issues involved with managing your employees, allowing you to run your business and focus on growth. Trust our team with development, oversight, and implementation of your:
- Drug testing policies
- Family medical leave
- Employee handbooks
- Non-compete agreements
- Confidentiality agreements
- Unemployment proceedings
- Safety and health procedures
- Professional licensure matters
- Compensation issues
- EEO policies and training
The Trusted Employment and Labor Law Firm in Des Moines, Iowa
At Whitfield & Eddy, we work to resolve your labor and employment disputes and help you develop solutions to plan for future liabilities. We always go the extra mile to help our clients know, understand, and use appropriate business practices to manage your compliance.
The right firm. The right fit.
To learn more about our solutions for your business, contact us today.
Honors & Awards
- Ranked in Labor & Employment – Iowa, Chambers USA, 2003-2019
- “Best Law Firm” in the areas of Employment Law – Management, Labor Law – Management, Employment Law – Individuals, and Litigation – Labor & Employment, The Best Lawyers in America, 2014-2018
News & Events
- Transportation Law Update: Federal District Court Enjoins California Statute Regarding Independent Contractors02.05.2020
- Labor & Employment Law Update: DOL Publishes New Guidance on Overtime Pay for Commissioned Employees09.18.2019
- Transportation Law Update: U.S. Department of Labor Issues New Wage and Hour Opinion Letter Regarding Sleeper Berths07.24.2019
- Transportation Law Update: Court of Appeals Affirms Decision Denying Second Suit - Driver Subject to Joint Employer Rule01.28.2019
- Construction Law Update: Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals: Employees Have Burden of Proof Under New Legislation09.04.2018
- Transportation Law Update: United States Court of Appeals for First Circuit Holds Prohibition on Arbitration Extends to Independent Contractors06.21.2018
Events & Speaking Engagements
- Webinar, 06.11.2020
- Webinar, 04.30.2020
- Webinar, 04.24.2020
- Webinar, 03.24.2020
- Jacksonville, Florida, 03.24.2020
- Bluffton, South Carolina, 06.15.2019
- New York, New York, 06.13.2018