Transportation Law Update: Review of Recent Case Law and Legislative Update
The Whitfield & Eddy Law Transportation Practice Group reviewed important federal cases and legislation and studied their impact on the transportation industry in their August 2022 meeting. Trucking and transportation companies across the U.S. have relied upon our counsel to guide their responses to emerging legal and regulatory issues. The presentation focused on various federal court decisions and state legislative initiatives.
Transportation law-related matters addressed include:
- Ninth Circuit Rules on Piece-Rate Pay Case;
- Transportation Related FLSA Collective Action Case Reaches Seventh Circuit;
- Eighth Circuit Reverses and Remands Case Regarding Driver Poaching;
- Eighth Circuit Resolves Arbitration Dispute Between Railroad and Trucking Company;
- When is a Toll A Tax—Round Three;
- Seventh Circuit Finds Safe Harbor Provision Applies to Federal Excise Tax;
- Appellate Court Interprets Summary Judgment Ruling Concerning Sexual Harassment Allegations by Female Drivers;
- United States Supreme Court Grants Certiorari for Arbitration Case;
- Iowa Legislature Bill Proposes Limits on Commercial Motor Vehicle Liability and Damages;
- Appellate Court Affirms Dismissal of §1981 Claim Against Fed Ex Ground;
- U.S. Supreme Court Decides Not to Review Negligent Brokering Case; and
- United States Supreme Court Rules on Arbitration Case.