Danni Harris is honored to help her clients navigate extremely difficult circumstances. As a zealous advocate, Danni built her career and legal practice litigating family law matters including dissolution of marriage, custody, domestic abuse, grandparent visitation, guardianship, and termination of parental rights.
When a relationship or marriage ends, Danni is often the first person her current and former clients refer to their family and friends. She prides herself on the personal attention and detailed service she provides to each client. In her practice, she strives to protect the legal rights of her clients and their children through negotiated settlements or trial. Danni has extensive litigation experience, having participated in hundreds of trials throughout her career.
She regularly represents and advises family law clients with significant assets including business owners, business managers, farmers, or spouses. She regularly consults with accountants and valuation professionals to evaluate and divide assets. When necessary, she brings in the expertise of colleagues in complimentary practice areas, such as estates, wills, and trusts.
Prior to practicing law in Iowa, Danni focused her efforts on criminal prosecution and family law matters in Dallas, Texas. Upon her return to Iowa in 2008, she served victims of domestic violence in the Women’s Equal Justice Project and as the Violence Against Women Act attorney at Iowa Legal Aid.
Danni considers it a privilege that clients trust her to zealously advocate for their best interests.
- Chair, Whitfield & Eddy Law Divorce and Family Law Practice Group, 2022—present
- Member, Whitfield & Eddy Law, 2018—present
- Associate, Hope Law Firm, 2014—2018
- Staff Attorney, Iowa Legal Aid, 2008—2014
- Solo Practitioner, 2003—2007
- Assistant District Attorney, Dallas County (Texas) District Attorney's Office, 2000—2003
notable appellate cases
In re Marriage of Lynch - 2019 WL 319844
In re Marriage of Monat - 2019 WL 1057310
Bratton v. Minnix - 898 N.W.2d 203; 2017 WL 510946
In re Marriage of Neils - 2018 WL 6719912
Seminars Recently Attended
- Advocacy Skills Course Completion, National Institute for Trial Advocacy
News & Events
- The Iowa Lawyer, 06.19.2019
- Legal Remedies - Innocent Spouse Relief, Probono.net
- Legal Remedies - SSI/SSDI What's the Difference, Probono.net
- Establishing Foundation for Evidence in Family Law Cases, Probono.net
- Civil Legal Services for Domestic Abuse Victims, Family Violence Center Advocate Training
- Earned Income Tax Credit and Custody, Des Moines Area Community College ESL class
- Civil Protective Orders - Full Faith and Credit, Family Violence Center
- Housing Protections for Victims of Domestic Violence, Advocate Level II Training
- Domestic Violence Advocacy Training, Advocate Level II Certification Training
- Domestic Abuse Litigation, New Advocate Training
- Presenting Evidence in Trial, Legal Aid Work Group Training
- American Bar Association
- Iowa State Bar Association
- Polk County Bar Association
- Polk County Women Attorneys
- Texas State Bar Association
Honors & Recognitions
Honors & Recognitions
- Martindale-Hubbell Client Champion, 2018
- Polk County Bar Association Volunteer Lawyers Project: recognized for pro bono work hours in 2020—2021.
- Iowa State Bar Association Pro Bono Honor Roll, 2010
Danni is the best attorney I could ever have!! About 7 to 8 years ago she won my child custody and divorce case! Now she also took care of child custody/child support case! Danni is a blessing to my family and her phenomenal work she does in and outside the courtroom! She’s also honest and there for you!!! Danni is someone you want to have in your corner in hard times!!
Danni is (in simple words) a person who will fight for what is best for you (and your children). She is easy to work with, and goes the extra mile to guide and support her clients through the difficult times divorce can bring. She places the needs of her clients first. She is very knowledgeable and adept at explaining in detail everything that is going on and what could happen.
Danni was always professional, honest, and compassionate with every member of my family. She was a passionate advocate for my family in one of the worst times of our life. She was always very courteous and responded to phone calls and emails very promptly. I know she was carrying a huge case load at the time but I always felt we were her number one priority.
Danni Harris is a wonderful lawyer who has a personal touch with each client. I have and will continue to recommend her to friends and family.
Attorney Danni Harris was excellent. Great at cross referencing evidence. Without question, a tough courtroom attorney that put opposition on their heels. Savvy, determined, fought for us. My family was very pleased. I will save you the trouble. LOOK NO FURTHER. Paralegal was professional, available, and informative. Tough circumstances, great experience.
I really enjoyed working with Danni Harris. I appreciated her guidance, empathy and attention to detail and have recommended her to family and friends.
Danni Harris is hands down one of the most trustworthy and genuine individuals you will ever meet. Rest assured that you are in good hands and that she is going to do everything in her power to take the best care of your case. I always know that she has my best interests at heart. It's rare that an attorney possesses such great attributes in the sense that she is easy to talk to and when she says she is going to get something done, she does it. She is extremely hardworking, detail oriented and passionate about the services she provides. I highly recommend her services.
Danni is an outstanding attorney. She is willing to talk you through the process, support and guide you all the way to resolution. She will fight for what is best for you and your children. Some attorneys talk about the right things, Danni does the right things.