John represents financial institutions, financing lenders, trade creditors and purchasers of financially distressed businesses involved in disputes comprising commercial interests and bankruptcy matters. Creditor rights and bankruptcy litigation is a significant part of his regular work as he seeks to collect debts, recover collateral, arrange workout plans, restructurings, and other matters relating to financially distressed borrowers.
He also serves as general counsel, or Chancellor, to The Iowa Annual Conference of the United Methodist Church and its Bishop.
He is a member of the executive committees for the C. Edwin Moore Inn of Court in Iowa, the Iowa Chapter of the Federal Bar Association and is currently serving as the chair of the Iowa State Bar Association’s Federal Practice Committee, and is member of the state bars of Iowa and South Dakota. Prior to joining Whitfield & Eddy, he served as a law clerk to the Hon. Robert W. Pratt, Chief Judge for the United States District Court for the Southern District of Iowa.
- Represented estate and family in a federal wrongful death lawsuit which achieved a multi-million dollar settlement.
- Member attorney, Whitfield & Eddy, P.L.C., 2010—present
- Chair, Whitfield & Eddy Litigation Practice Group, 2010-2015
- Chair, Whitfield & Eddy Library Committee, 2010—present
- Member, Whitfield & Eddy Professional Recruitment Committee, 2007—2018
- Associate Attorney, Whitfield & Eddy, P.L.C., 2006—2009
- Judicial Clerk, Hon. Robert W. Pratt, Chief Judge, U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Iowa, 2004—2006
Professional Activities and Affiliations:
- American Bar Association (Section on Litigation, Section on Business Law)
- American Bankruptcy Institute
- Executive Committee, C. Edwin Moore Inn of Court, 2015-
- Federal Bar Association
- Iowa State Bar Association (Chair, Federal Practice Committee, 2017)
- Polk County Bar Association
- Association of United Methodist Church Conference Chancellors
Seminars Recently Attended:
- All-Iowa Bankruptcy Conference, Iowa Chapter of the Federal Bar Association, November 2017
- Iowa State Bar Association Annual Meeting, June 2017
- American Bankruptcy Institute 34th Annual Spring Meeting, Washington, D.C., April 2016.
- Iowa State Bar Association Commercial and Bankruptcy Law Seminar, May 29, 2015
- American Bankruptcy Institute/UMKC Midwestern Bankruptcy Institute, October 2014.
- Eighth Circuit Judicial Conference, July 2014.
- American Bankruptcy Institute Spring Meeting, Washington, D.C., April 2014.
- Iowa State Bar Federal Practice Seminar, December 2013.
News & Events
Events & Speaking Engagements
Cases Presentations & Publications
Cases Presentations & Publications
- Ellingson v. Piercy, No. 2:14-CV-04316-NKL, 2016 WL 4033259 (W.D. Mo. July 27, 2016)
- In re Civic Partners Sioux City, LLC, 553 B.R. 355 (B.A.P. 8th Cir. 2016).
- Nw. Bank v. Sovereign Holdings, Inc., No. 4:15-CV-04066-KES, 2016 WL 727170 (D.S.D. Feb. 23, 2016)
- In re Civic Partners Sioux City, LLC, No. BR 11-00829, 2015 WL 4127160 (Bankr. N.D. Iowa July 8, 2015), rev'd and remanded, 553 B.R. 355 (B.A.P. 8th Cir. 2016)
- Ellingson v. Piercy, No. 2:14-CV-04316-NKL, 2015 WL 3713989 (W.D. Mo. June 15, 2015)
- In re Civic Partners Sioux City, LLC, 779 F.3d 572 (8th Cir. 2015)
- Buckeye State Mut. Ins. Co. v. Moens, 944 F. Supp. 2d 678 (N.D. Iowa 2013)
- Buckeye State Mut. Ins. Co. v. Moens, No. C12-4025-MWB, 2013 WL 1196622 (N.D. Iowa Mar. 25, 2013)
- United Suppliers, Inc. v. Millard Feed Mill, Inc., 09-CV-107-LRR, 2011 WL 219690 (N.D. Iowa Jan. 21, 2011)
- United Suppliers, Inc. v. Millard Feed Mill, Inc., 09-CV-107-LRR, 2010 WL 300673 (N.D. Iowa Jan. 19, 2010)
- F.D.I.C. v. Rubashkin, C09-1026, 2010 WL 3909858 (N.D. Iowa Oct. 1, 2010)
- FC Coop II v. Iowa Select Farms, L.P., 759 N.W.2d 812 (Iowa App. 2008)
- Zamora Ent., Inc. v. William Morris Endeavor Entertainments, L.L.C., 667 F. Supp. 2d 1032 (S.D. Iowa 2009)
Selected Publications, Presentations and Teaching Appointments:
- Presenter, “Federal Deposition Practice,” Environmental Litigation (Spring 2014), Drake University School of Law, Des Moines, Iowa, March 28, 2014
- Presenter, “Notice Pleading: Changes and Practice,” Whitfield & Eddy, P.L.C., Litigation Section, CLE Hour Granted, September 24, 2009
- Presenter, “Federal Practice in Iowa District Courts,” Whitfield & Eddy, P.L.C., Litigation Section, CLE Hour Granted, February 11, 2008
- Presenter, “Using Demonstrative Evidence,” NBI Seminar Series, Des Moines, Iowa, CLE Hour Granted, September 25, 2008
- Author (with Robert L. Fanter and Kevin M. Reynolds), “Witness Statements in Investigation, Deposition and Trial.” For the Defense, DRI, Voice of the Defense, September 2008
- Presenter, “The Law of Tort Liability,” Des Moines University College of Health Sciences, Des Moines, Iowa, March 8, 2007
- Presenter, “Subpoenas, Court Orders and Law Enforcement Issues,” Legal Issues in Behavioral Health Seminar, Medical Educational Services, Inc., Des Moines, Iowa, March 6, 2007
- Author (with Kevin M. Reynolds), “Standards for the Admissibility of Expert Witness Testimony in Iowa,” Defense Update: The Iowa Defense Counsel Association Newsletter, Fall 2006
Drake University Law School, J.D., 2004, with honors
- Note Editor: Drake Law Review, 2004
Asbury Theological Seminary, M.Div., 1989, with honors
Oklahoma Wesleyan University, B.A., 1985, cum laude
U.S. District Court - Southern District of Iowa
U.S. District Court - Northern District of Iowa
U.S. District Court - District of South Dakota
U.S. District Court - Eastern District of Arkansas
U.S. District Court - Western District of Arkansas
U.S. District Court - Central District of Illinois
U.S. District Court - District of Nebraska
U.S. Court of Appeals - Eighth Circuit