Tom focuses on plaintiff litigation involving personal injury accidents, workers compensation claims, medical malpractice issues, will contests, business and shareholder disputes, securities litigation and FINRA security arbitration. He is a member of the Iowa Academy of Trial lawyers.
Tom represents clients who serve our country in the armed forces in various military legal issues. He is a retired Army Reserve JAG Colonel.
- Past Member, Whitfield & Eddy, P.L.C. Management Committee, 1998—2007
- Member Attorney, Whitfield & Eddy, P.L.C.
- Commander, Eighth Military Law Center in Kansas City, Missouri
- Adjunct Professor, Iowa Wesleyan College, 1978—1981
- City Attorney, City of Mount Pleasant, Iowa, 1978—1981
- City Attorney, City of Donnellson, Iowa, 1978—1981
- Judicial Clerk, Iowa Supreme Court Justice David Harris, 1973
- Legal Counsel, Iowa State Senate, 1972
Activities and Affiliations
- American Bar Association (Sections: Law Practice Management; Litigation; Tort, Trial & Insurance Practice)
- American Inns of Court (Bencher: Blackstone Inn of Court)
- Federal Bar Association (President: Iowa Chapter, 1980—1981; Eighth Circuit Second Vice-President, 1981—1982; Eighth Circuit First Vice-President, 1982—1983)
- Fellow of the Iowa Academy of Trial Lawyers
- Iowa State Bar Association (Sections: Litigation; Workers’ Compensation)
- Iowa Trial Lawyers Association
- Phi Delta Phi International Legal Fraternity
- Polk County Bar Association
- Virginia State Bar
- Iowa Academy of Trial Lawyers 60th Annual Seminar, February 2022
- Iowa Academy of Trial Lawyers 59th Annual Seminar, February 2021
- Iowa Academy of Trial Lawyers Seminar, February 2020
- Iowa Academy of Trial Lawyers Seminar, February 2019
- Iowa Academy of Trial Lawyers Seminar, February 2018
- Practising Law Institute Securities Arbitration Seminar, New York City, NY
News & Events
- Best Lawyers in America, 08.22.2023
- Best Lawyers in America, 08.30.2022
- Great Plains Super Lawyers, 08.30.2022
- Best Lawyers In America, 08.20.2020
Honors & Recognitions
Honors & Recognitions
- AV Preeminent rated by Martindale-Hubbell
- Selected for inclusion in the Best Lawyers in America as a top-ranked attorney in Personal Injury Litigation-Plaintiffs (2013—2024)
- Selected for inclusion in the Great Plains Super Lawyers in the area of Personal Injury General: Plaintiff (2013—2021)
Cases & Presentations
Cases & Presentations
- National Parcel Servs. V. J. H. Hunt Logistics, 150 F.3d 970 (8th Cir. Ct. App.)
- Tonelli v. United States, 60 F.3d 492 (8th Cir. Ct. App.)
- Hlebichuk v. Amway Corp., 46 F.3d 1135 (8th Cir. Ct. App.)
- Merchants Mut. Bonding Co. v. Appalachian Ins. Co., 556 F.2d 889 (8th Cir. Ct. App.)
- Nedved v. Welch, 585 N.W.2d 238 (Sup. Ct. Iowa)
- Klipp v. Iowa Grain Indem. Fund Bd., 502 N.W.2d 9 (Sup. Ct. Iowa)
- Sankey v. Richenberger, 456 N.W.2d 206 (Sup. Ct. Iowa)
- Citizens State Bank v. Hansen, 449 N.W.2d 338 (Sup. Ct. Iowa)
- Farm-Fuel Products Corp. v. Grain Processing Corp., 429 N.W.2d 153 (Sup. Ct. Iowa)
- In re Girdler, 357 N.W.2d 595 (Sup. Ct. Iowa)
- Barrett v. Bryant, 290 N.W.2d 917 (Sup. Ct. Iowa)
- Koll v. Manatt’s Transp. Co., 235 N.W.3d 265 (Sup. Ct. Iowa)
- Davis v. Hansen, 224 N.W.2d 4 (Sup. Ct. Iowa)
- Hansen-Friedrichsen, Inc. v. Citizens State Bank, 490 N.W.2d (Iowa Ct. App.)
- Corporate Center Assoc. v. Total Group Service, Inc., 462 N.W.2d 713 (Iowa Ct. App.)
- Allied Mut. Ins. Co. v. Colby Dev. Co., 2003 Iowa App. LEXIS 545, June 2003 (Iowa Ct. App.)
- Lenzini v. Gomez, June 2010 (Iowa Ct. App.)
- Vickers v. Great River Medical Center, 753 N.W.2d 570 (Iowa Ct. App.)
- Presenter with Zach Hermsen, "Litigating Vaccine Injury Claims in the National Vaccine Injury Compensation Program," Iowa Academy of Trial Lawyers, 2016.
- Presenter, “Medical Malpractice Issues and Updates in Iowa,” Des Moines University
- Presenter, “Handling the Automobile Injury Claim in Iowa,” National Business Institute, Inc.
- Presenter, “Uninsured and Underinsured Motorists Law in Iowa,” National Business Institute, Inc.
- Presenter, “Personal Injury Settlements in Iowa; Practical Methods for Perfecting the Settlement of a Claim,” National Business Institute, Inc.
College of William and Mary School of Law, J.D.
College of William and Mary, B.A.
- Omicron Delta Kappa National Leadership Honor Society
- ROTC Commissioned 2nd Lieutenant
U.S. District Court - Southern District of Iowa
U.S. District Court - Northern District of Iowa
U.S. Court of Federal Claims
U.S. Supreme Court