Whitfield & Eddy Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Committee 2022 Year in Review
The attorneys and staff at Whitfield & Eddy Law formed its first Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Committee in 2021. The committee serves as a guide and foster a welcoming and safe work environment for all. and achieved many of the original goals established in their charter.
The committee’s 2022 accomplishments include:
- The firm was a sponsor of the Breaking The Cycle / Hope for Justice dinner to raise funds and awareness to stop human trafficking.
- The firm completed the Iowa State Bar Association Young Lawyers Division Diversity Pledge, where we worked towards a more diverse, equitable, and inclusive environment through steps outlined by the ISBA YLD. The pledge outlined more than two dozen items listed in internal and external categories for law firms of all sizes to review and complete between April 1, 2021 and April 1, 2022.
- The firm was a sponsor of the second annual West Des Moines Chamber Black and Brown Summit and committed to sponsor the 2023 event. The summit will bring entrepreneurs and seasoned companies together to elevate ethnic minorities and BIPOC businesses to build connections, training, and resources to grow and prosper.
- The firm placed an advertisement in the Pride Fest Pride Guide supporting the LGBTQ community in the metro’s signature Capital City Pride Week events.
- The firm recognized Juneteenth as a holiday with time off and provided educational materials about this history of Juneteenth and related community events.
- Whitfield & Eddy Law was the lead donor to the Iowa State Bar Association initiative to underwrite the creation of a Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Director to be hired in 2023. Attorney and 2021—2022 Iowa State Bar Association President Anjela Shutts accepted the Iowa National Bar Association Journey Award on behalf of the Iowa State Bar Association for the efforts to create the DEI Director role. Whitfield & Eddy Law was also a sponsor of the annual Meeting at the Monument event.
- Attorneys and staff participated in the third annual Drake Law School Cady Day of Service by participating in a clean-up of the Neal Smith Trail and Birdland Marina area in Des Moines and volunteering at the power of attorney clinic at Drake Law School.
- The firm continued its annual support of the Drake Law School Cady Law Opportunity Fellowship Program, a commitment which provides diverse law school students mentorship, leadership training, and internships at Des Moines-based law firms and companies
- As a member of ALFA International, the firm shares it’s support of the Cady Law Opportunity Fellowship with other members as a successful example of recruiting, mentoring, and developing candidates for law firms.
- The Whitfield Women, a mentorship group for women in the law profession, continues to be an active part of the firm leading charitable endeavors in the community including Give Grace, Give Hope, the Young Women’s Resource Center, Single Parent Provision, and other charitable and networking endeavors supportive programming for members.
- For over fifty years, the firm has provided legal services to Oakridge Neighborhood Services. These services include the initial development, procurement of land, and construction of buildings including their resource center. A vital community resource, Oakridge is the most culturally diverse neighborhood in Des Moines and houses over 1,100 residents in 339 housing units.
- We hosted members of the Drake Law School Black Law Student Association return to school dinner at a private residence with faculty and firm guests.
- The firm also recognized important dates including:
- International Women's Day
- Celebrate Diversity Month
- Women's Equality Day
- Veterans Day
The attorneys and staff at Whitfield & Eddy Law are committed to maintaining a successful workplace and community. We encourage the recruitment, hiring and advancement of talented, engaged and diverse attorneys and staff to meet the complex needs of our clients and community. The committee continues to evolve and grow with an emphasis on activities within the firm and community to build on the goal to define the firm as a diverse, equitable, and inclusive employer of choice in the Des Moines metro.