Alecia A. Cederdahl is a member attorney focusing on agricultural, commercial, and municipal real estate transactions, as well as related permitting, entitlement, and business entity needs. She assists buyers, sellers, and lenders with purchases and conveyances, real estate development, financing, resolution of title objections, easements, and leasing. Alecia has a practical approach to legal issues, and aims to deliver clear and easy-to-understand solutions to complex problems.
IOWA COMMERCIAL LAND ACQUISITION AND DEVELOPMENT
Alecia represents lenders, property owners, and developers in commercial real estate transactions throughout the state of Iowa, including manufacturing plants, agricultural facilities, warehouses, hotels, retail, and offices. She advises clients in negotiating purchase agreements, title and closing, financing, and leases to protect their legal interests and advance their business goals.
She also works with developers and their engineering teams on subdivision platting and development agreements, conditional use permitting, zoning changes, easements, and owners association matters.
CENTRAL IOWA MUNICIPAL LAND USE
Alecia provides legal advice to the firm’s city clients on municipal issues affecting real estate. She works with the city administrator, mayor, city council and other local leaders on day-to-day and long-range planning involving public infrastructure projects, annexations, and eminent domain to support the continued growth of the community.
IOWA AGRICULTURAL AND RURAL PROPERTY
Alecia understands the rapidly changing regulation involved in land use and Iowa’s agricultural industry. Her extensive background with agricultural and rural property issues includes easements, drainage, government programs and other regulatory concerns. She assists owners, buyers, lenders, and tenants with transactional matters including purchases, sales, 1031 exchanges, financing, and leasing of real estate of all sizes and use. She also helps landowners and managers with farm tenancy issues and renewable energy leases.
Alecia understands the technical and financial programs available to landowners who wish to maintain and enhance their property in a manner to benefit agricultural production and the environment. She assists private farmland owners across the state of Iowa with government programs and nonprofit opportunities designed to support land stewardship.
Alecia is a member of Commercial Real Estate Women and the Iowa Commercial Real Estate Association, and volunteers with the YMCA of Greater Des Moines Girls on the Run.
- Chair, Whitfield & Eddy Law Real Estate Practice Group, 2022—present
- Member Attorney, Whitfield & Eddy Law, 2021—present
- Associate Attorney, Whitfield & Eddy Law, 2017—2020
- Contract Easement Program Specialist, USDA – Natural Resources Conservation Service, 2013—2017
Activities and Affiliations
- Iowa State Bar Association
- West Des Moines Leadership Academy, Class of 2020 Graduate
- Polk County Bar Association
- Iowa Association of Women Attorneys
- Commercial Real Estate Women
- Iowa Commercial Real Estate Association
- Drake Law School Real Estate Transactions, April 2022
- Iowa State Bar Association Annual Meeting, June 2021
- Iowa State Bar Association Annual Meeting, May 2020
- Iowa State University Agricultural Law Seminar, September 2019
- Iowa State Bar Association Annual Meeting, June 2018
News & Events
- Best Lawyers in America, 08.22.2023
- Best Lawyers in America, 08.30.2022
- The Iowa State Bar Association Real Estate Law Manual 2019, 08.21.2019
- The Iowa Lawyer, 06.19.2019
- Construction Law Update: Efforts to Legislatively Overturn Iowa Court of Appeal’s Decision Regarding Homestead Rights Die with Close of Legislative Session05.03.2019
- Co-author (with John F. Fatino), "Mechanic's Liens," The Iowa State Bar Association's Real Estate Law Manual 2019
- Note: Finding Fields: Opportunities to Facilitate and Incentivize the Transfer of Agricultural Property to New and Beginning Farmers, 18 Drake J. Agric. L. 211 (2013)
Honors & Recognitions
Honors & Recognitions
- Selected for inclusion in the Best Lawyers in America in the areas of Municipal Law and Real Estate Law (Ones to Watch: 2023)
Drake University Law School, J.D. with high honors
- Order of the Coif
- Certificate, Food and Agriculture Law
- Executive Editor, Junior Editor, Drake Journal of Agricultural Law
Concordia College, B.A. summa cum laude