Jeff’s daily interaction with general contractors, sub-contractors, owners and surety clients builds understanding of the legal issues and how they relate to the business. Jeff’s no-nonsense approach and helpful attitude allows owners and managers to understand expectations and results that can be achieved.
His background as a Construction Engineering graduate from Iowa State University and a contractor and real estate developer for over fourteen years provides owners and managers a partner who not only understands their business, but can dissect legal issues in a manner that is easy to understand and act upon. He bridges the gap between the legal claim and business issues at hand to help efficiently assess and address to keep the project and company on track.
Jeff's long-term relationships are key within the industry where he represents horizontal and vertical construction companies. Owners and managers see Jeff as a problem solver who they want involved early to prevent disputes and resolve issues quickly.
Clients recognize Jeff’s experience in a wide variety of areas as an asset including construction defects, delay claims, claims for extra work, mechanic’s liens and contract interpretation. Jeff has extensive experience in trial and appellate work, arbitrations, mediations, contract review and consulting.
- Member, Whitfield & Eddy, P.L.C. ALFA International Committee
- Member Attorney, Whitfield & Eddy, P.L.C., 2004—present
- Attorney in private practice, 1992—2003
- Fourteen years experience as general contractor and real estate developer
Activities and Affiliations
- American Arbitration Association (Construction Panel Arbitrator)
- American Bar Association (Sections: Litigation; Forum on the Construction Industry)
- Asphalt Paving Association of Iowa
- Associated General Contractors of America
- Associated General Contractors of Iowa
- Iowa State Bar Association
- Master Builders of Iowa (Leadership Pool, Travel and Convention Committee)
- Mechanical Contractors of Iowa
- Polk County Bar Association
- American Bar Association Forum on the Construction Industry Fall Meeting, October 2018
- Master Builders of Iowa Annual Winter Conference, February 2018
- Associated General Contractors of Iowa Annual Convention, January 2018
- American Bar Association Forum on the Construction Industry Fall Meeting, October 2017
- Master Builders of Iowa Annual Winter Conference, February 2017
- Associated General Contractors of Iowa Annual Convention, January 2017
- American Bar Association Forum on the Construction Industry Fall Meeting, October 2015
News & Events
Events & Speaking Engagements
Honors & Recognitions
Honors & Recognitions
- AV rated by Martindale-Hubbell
- Selected for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America in the area of Construction Law (2017—2019) and Litigation - Construction (2019)
- Selected for inclusion in the Great Plains Super Lawyers in the area of Construction Litigation (2015—2018)
Cases Presentations & Publications
Cases Presentations & Publications
- The Village at White Birch Town Homeowners Assoc. v. Norandex Building Materials, et al., Iowa 2014 WL 1351058
- SH Development, LLC v. McAninch Corporation, et al., 797 NW2d 623 (Iowa Ct. App. 2011)
- Rabe Hardware, Inc. v. Jayapathy, 786 NW2d 269 (Iowa Ct. App. 2010)
- John T. Jones Constr. Co. v. Hoot Gen. Constr. Co., 543 F.Supp.2d 982 (S.D. Iowa 2008)
- A&W Electrical Contractors, Inc. v. Petry, et al., 576 NW2d 112 (Iowa 1998)
Selected Publications and Presentations
- Jeff is a frequent guest lecturer at Iowa State University Construction Engineering Department.
- Co-Presenter, "Construction Law: Advanced Issues and Answers," National Business Institute Seminars, Des Moines, Iowa, February 2017
- Co-Presenter, "Up in the Air - Legal Issues of Drones in the Construction Industry," Master Builders of Iowa Webinar, September 2016
- Author, "Commonly Held Misconceptions About Public Projects Under Iowa Law," InsideMBI: The Essential Resource for Iowa's Construction Professionals, Fall 2015
- Presenter, United Fire Group Agency Alliance Surety Board Meeting, July 2015
- Presenter, Construction Lien Law in Iowa, Lorman Seminars, October 2014
- Iowa Editor, Construction Law Compendium, ALFA International
- Iowa Editor, State-By-State Guide to Design and Construction Contracts and Claims (Second Edition), Wolters Kluwer
- Co-Presenter, “A Practical Guide to Construction Liens,” March 2013, National Business Institute, West Des Moines, Iowa.
- Presenter, “Public Contracts and Procurement Regulations in Iowa,” Lorman Education Services, presented on a regular basis in various locations.
- Presenter, “Construction Claims in Iowa,” Lorman Education Services, presented on a regular basis in various locations.
- Presenter, “Iowa Construction Issues,” Lorman Education Services, presented on a regular basis in various locations.
- Presenter, “Iowa Construction Lien Law,” Lorman Education Services, presented on a regular basis in various locations.
- Presenter, “Fundamentals of Construction Contracts,” Lorman Education Services, presented on a regular basis in various locations.
- Presenter, “Construction Contracting for Public Entities,” Lorman Education Services, presented on a regular basis in various locations.
Drake University Law School, J.D., 1992, with honors
- Order of the Coif
Iowa State University, B.S., Construction Engineering, 1976
U.S. District Court - Southern District of Iowa
U.S. District Court - Northern District of Iowa
U.S. District Court - Central District of Illinois
U.S. District Court - Eastern District of Missouri
U.S. Court of Appeals - Eighth Circuit