Anjie carefully guides her clients through the legal and emotional process involved in family law matters. To build understanding and comfort with the steps involved and desired outcome, she works with clients to gather important personal and family information to build the background and establish goals to use as an actionable plan.
Anjie understands the importance of negotiation in family law matters and the difference that clients can experience between settlement and litigation in court over complicated and contentious matters. Through her career as a family law attorney, she has a clear understanding of whether settlement or court would be the best alternative. Anjie has significant experience as a litigator, serving as an advocate in the courtroom for her clients.
She established a practice representing individuals and families in family law matters since she joined the firm in 1996 and has been recognized by Best Lawyers in America and Great Plains Super Lawyers. Her focus is on domestic relations and she has assisted in complex dissolutions involving business owners, highly compensated executives, high net worth individuals and families, as well as highly contested custody matters.
As a resource for her clients, she has a number of professional relationships that include Certified Public Accountants, financial advisors, business and compensation valuation experts. When necessary, Anjie can also provide referrals for custody evaluation and therapists.
Through her professional practice, she understands the broad range of issues that arrive in matrimonial law including child custody, child support, and child visitation. Anjie also counsels clients on private domestic adoptions.
A Fellow of the American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers, Anjie demonstrates active interest and substantial experience in family law. She fulfilled the criteria and standards established by the AAML Board of Examiners and Board of Governors. Additionally, she is recognized by attorneys and judges as a leading practitioner.
Anjie is a sought-after speaker on topics for continuing education of Iowa Family Law practitioners. She is a leader in the Iowa State Bar Association including being named to the Iowa Family Law Case Processing Reform Task Force Steering Committee and membership to the Iowa State Judicial Nominating Commission for Polk County. In 2016, Anjie was named as vice-chair to the Iowa Supreme Court Access to Justice Commission.
She was presented the Polk County Bar Association Award of Merit in 2017. She received the Polk County Women Attorneys Willie Stevenson Glanton Award and the Iowa Supreme Court Voice of Justice Award in 2018.
- Member, Whitfield & Eddy, P.L.C. Executive Committee, 2010—2015
- Co-Chair, Whitfield & Eddy, P.L.C. Family Law Practice Group
- Adjunct Professor, Family Law, Drake University Law School, 2011—2012
- Chair, Whitfield & Eddy, P.L.C. Professional Recruitment Committee, 2008—2009
- Co-Chair, Whitfield & Eddy, P.L.C. Associate Professional Development Committee, 2006—2008
- Member Attorney, Whitfield & Eddy, P.L.C., 2003—present
- Associate Attorney, Whitfield & Eddy, P.L.C., 1996—2003
Activities and Affiliations
- Luther College Board of Regents, 2018—present
- Iowa Access to Justice Commission, Vice Chair 2016—present
- Iowa Family Law Case Processing Reform Task Force Steering Committee
- Judicial Nominating Commission, District 5C (Polk County)
- Iowa Organization of Women Attorneys (President, 2003—2004)
- Iowa State Bar Association (Sections: Alternative Dispute Resolution; Family & Juvenile Law; Litigation; Family Law Section Council; Annual Meeting Committee; Chair: Women & Minorities Committee; Legal Aid Committee; Access to Justice Committee)
- Polk County Bar Association (President 2013; Family Law Committee – Member; Social Committee – Member)
- Polk County Bar Association Volunteer Lawyers Project (Board Member 1997—2008, President 2003—2008)
- Polk County Women Attorneys (Past President)
- Des Moines Business Record’s Forty Under 40, Class of 2002
- Drake Law School Board of Counselors (Past Member and Chair)
- Greater Des Moines Leadership Institute
- Iowa State Bar Association Annual Meeting, June 2018
- Iowa State Bar Association Bench-Bar Conference, May 2018
- American Bar Association 2018 Equal Justice Conference, May 2018
- Iowa State Bar Association Annual Meeting, June 2017
- Iowa Association for Justice Family Law Seminar, March 2017
- American Association of Matrimonial Lawyers Annual Meeting, November 2016
- Iowa State Bar Association Bench-Bar Conference, May 2016
- American Association of Matrimonial Lawyers Annual Meeting, November 2015
News & Events
Events & Speaking Engagements
Honors & Recognitions
Honors & Recognitions
- AV rated by Martindale-Hubbell
- Iowa Supreme Court Voice of Justice Award, 2018
- Polk County Women Attorneys Willie Stevenson Glanton Award, 2018
- Polk County Bar Association Award of Merit, 2017
- Greater Des Moines Leadership Institute Alumni Community Vision Award, 2014
- Named the Best Lawyers® 2015 Family Law “Lawyer of the Year” in Des Moines
- Selected for inclusion in the Family Law section of The Best Lawyers in America (2015—2018)
- Selected for inclusion in the Great Plains Super Lawyers in the field of Family Law (2007, 2009—2018)
- Named to the Drake University College of Law "150 in 150" list of outstanding alumni in 2015
- Polk County Bar Association Volunteer Lawyers Project: recognized for pro bono work hours in 2016—2017 (also mediation)
Selected Presentations and Teaching Appointments
- Presenter, "Limited Scope Representation and You," Iowa State Bar Association Annual Meeting, June 2016
- Moderator, "Access to Justice: an Iowa Edge - Diagnosing and Dealing with Barriers," Iowa State Bar Association Bench-Bar Conference, May, 2016
- Panelist, "Expanding Access to Justice In Iowa," Iowa State Bar Association Annual Meeting, June 2015
- Presenter, “Financial Planners' Tools and Skills Which Can Improve Your Domestic Relations Practice,” and “EDMS and Your Family Law Practice,” Iowa State Bar Association Family Law Seminar, October 2014
- Presenter, “Preventing Critical Financial Mistakes in the Divorce Decree,” 21st Annual Family Law Seminar (Iowa Association of Justice), April 2011
- Presenter, “Negotiating the Best Possible Settlement for Your Clients,” National Business Institute, 2006, 2007, 2009
- Adjunct Professor, “Trial Advocacy,” Drake University Law School, Spring 2006
- Presenter, “Legal Ethics in Iowa,” Lorman Education Services, August 25, 2005
- Presenter, “Ethics in Divorce Cases,” ISBA Young Lawyers Division, May 2004
Drake University Law School, J.D., 1996
- National Mock Trial Team, 1996
- Client Counseling Team
- Recipient: Carlucci Award for Professionalism and Civility, 1996
- President: Drake Law Women, 1995—1996
Luther College, B.A., 1993