Matt’s clients range from multinational corporations to small, family-owned companies. His broad base of experience includes product liability defense (both personal injury and product performance), commercial liability issues, transportation claims, employment contests, construction disputes, and medical negligence claims. Effective at achieving successful outcomes both in and out of court, Matt has represented clients in a broad range of litigated conflicts in state and federal courts in Iowa and across the country. He has tried dozens of cases to verdict in both jury and bench trials and argued cases at various appellate court levels.
Matt is known for his detailed knowledge of the industries in which his clients work. He uses this knowledge to employ a hands-on approach to craft litigation strategies that yield efficient results and serve his clients’ long-term goals.
In addition to his litigation work, Matt regularly advises product manufacturers on ways they can avoid liability. He counsels businesses on issues relating to accident avoidance and liability prevention, including guidance on drafting warning labels and operator’s manuals, reviewing terms and conditions, forming safety committees, and executing hazard analysis exercises. He also works with clients to ensure compliance with standards promoted by the American National Standards Institute (ANSI), National Fire Protection Association (NFPA), and American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME), as well as Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) regulations.
As an authority on product liability in the product manufacturing sector, Matt is frequently invited to both regional and national seminars to speak on legal issues that impact the industry.
- Chair, ALFA International Committee, 2016—2017
- Chair, Business Development Committee, 2015
- Chair, Professional Recruitment Committee, 2011—2012
- Co-Chair, Associate Professional Development Committee, 2010
- Member Attorney, Whitfield & Eddy, P.L.C., 2009—present
- Partner, Swanson, Martin & Bell, Chicago and Lisle, Illinois, 1993—2009
Activities and Affiliations
- Defense Research Institute (DRI)
- Iowa State Bar Association
- ALFA International Product Liability and Complex Torts Practice Group Seminar, May 2016
- Defense Research Institute Life, Health Disability and ERISA Seminar, April 2016
- ALFA International Annual Client Seminar, March 2016
- ALFA International Transportation Practice Group Seminar, April 2015
- Product Liability Conference, Defense Research Institute, February 2015
News & Events
Events & Speaking Engagements
- Presenter with G. Mark Rice, "Negotiating Tactics: Opportunities and Challenges," Association of Corporate Counsel Iowa Chapter Seminar, June 2016
- Presenter, "The Hazard Analysis Card: What's in Your Company Wallet?" ALFA International Product Liability & Complex Torts Practice Group Seminar, May 2016
- Moderator, "Third Party Liens: How to manage the detrimental impact liens impose upon settlement negotiations," ALFA International Transportation Seminar, April 2015
- Presenter, "Expedited Civil Action Trial Rules: Iowa Rule of Civil Procedure 1.281," Iowa Association of Corporate Counsel (ACC), February 2015
- Presenter, "Presenting A United Defense Front in Multi-Party Litigation" ALFA International Product Liability & Complex Torts Practice Group Seminar, July 2014
University of Iowa College of Law, J.D., 1993, with distinction
University of Iowa, B.A. Economics and Political Science, 1990, with honors
U.S. District Court – Southern District of Iowa
U.S. District Court – Northern District of Iowa
U.S. District Court – Northern District of Illinois
U.S. District Court – Central District of Illinois
U.S. District Court – Southern District of Illinois