Zach is an experienced litigator
In an era of dwindling trials, Zach has a record of trying and winning cases. A client may decide settlement is their best option, but when the other party is unreasonable and the only way to right a wrong is with a trial, Zach will try the case and put his trust in the world’s greatest system of civil justice - the American jury trial – where he’s found that juries far more often than not “get it right.”
Zach is a communicator
Litigation can be a daunting process for clients. Zach clearly explains the process and the client’s options every step of the way.
Zach values creativity
No two cases are identical. He’s tried cases in Washington D.C., the Iowa Business Specialty Court, eastern Iowa, central Iowa, and western Iowa, and each and every one of those cases required its own unique strategy and approach. Don’t hire a firm that treats you like a part on an assembly line; hire a firm and a lawyer that’s committed to effectively solving your unique legal issue.
A team with proven success
This is not a one-man team. Zach is backed by some of the best assistants and law partners in the state.
National Transportation Professional Representation
Zach proudly represents transportation professionals throughout the United States that facilitate delivery of food, medicine, building materials, and other critical supplies to locations across the country. He is an active member of the ALFA International Transportation Group, offering a nationwide rapid-response team with the expertise to immediately and effectively respond to incidents should they arise. Zach is also a member of the Trucking Industry Defense Association and Transportation Lawyers Association.
- 2023 – Jury trial, Iowa, defense – claims dismissed in full against clients during trial.
- 2023 – Jury trial, Iowa – Defended transportation client in undisputed liability case. $1.2 million jury request from Plaintiff; $77k judgment.
- 2023 – Jury trial, Iowa – Defense verdict for transportation client.
- 2022 – Jury trial, Iowa – Defense verdict for homeowners sued by construction company; maximum statutory damages recovered on clients’ counterclaim for consumer fraud.
- 2022 – Summary judgment – Secured full dismissal for national convenience store.
- 2022 – Secured full voluntary dismissal with prejudice by other party in claims against client, with no money paid.
- 2021 – Bench trial, Iowa Business Specialty Court – Defense verdict for client in business dispute; full win on client’s counterclaims.
- 2021 – High six-figure settlement for injured client.
- 2020 – Federal Circuit Court of Appeals – Win on first-of-its-kind argument presented to the Federal Circuit in Washington, D.C.
- 2020 – Six-figure policy-limits settlement for injured client.
- 2019 – Iowa Court of Appeals – Win affirming full dismissal for client.
- 2018 – Iowa Court of Appeals – Win for transportation client affirming trial court ruling.
- 2018 – Jury trial, Iowa – Defense verdict for transportation client.
- 2018 – Summary judgment – Full dismissal secured for national company sued for injunction.
- 2017 – Jury trial, Iowa – Win for homeowner in damage claim against construction contractor.
- 2016 – Jury trial, Iowa – Five-figure judgment defending seven-figure pretrial demand against transportation client.
- ALFA International Transportation Practice Group Seminar, May 2023
- ALFA International Transportation Practice Group Seminar, May 2022
- Iowa Academy of Trial Lawyers 60th Annual Seminar, February 2022
- Iowa Academy of Trial Lawyers 59th Annual Seminar, February 2021
- Arkansas Trucking Seminar, October 2020
- Arkansas Trucking Seminar, October 2019
- ALFA International Transportation Practice Group Seminar, April 2019
- ALFA International Regional Transportation Seminar, February 2019
- Iowa State Bar Association Bench-Bar Conference, May 2018
- Defense Research Institute Trucking Law Seminar, April 2018
- American Board of Trial Advocates (ABOTA) Masters in Trial Seminar, May 2017
- Iowa Defense Counsel Association (IDCA) Deposition Bootcamp, October 2016
- Iowa State Bar Association Bench-Bar Conference, May 2016
- The Judges Speak: Civil Court Litigation Do's and Don'ts, National Business Institute
News & Events
- Best Lawyers in America, 08.22.2023
- Best Lawyers in America, 08.30.2022
- Transportation Executive Summary: Iowa Legislature Bill Proposes Limits on Commercial Motor Vehicle Liability and Damages02.21.2022
- Best Lawyers in America, 08.19.2021
- Zach Hermsen Interviewed Following Victory in the United States Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit.03.09.2020
Events & Speaking Engagements
- Fort Lauderdale, FL, 05.19.2023
- Iowa Defense Counsel Association Defense Update, Winter 2018, 04.05.2018
Presentations and Publications
Presentations and Publications
- Presenter (with Matt Jacobson), National Tank Truck Carriers Regional Safety Summit, July 2023
- Presenter, "2023 Iowa Tort Reform Legislation," ALFA International Transportation Practice Group Seminar, 2023
- Co-author (with Nick Gral and Anna E. Mallen), "Transportation Law Update," Iowa chapter, ALFA International Transportation Law Compendium, 2023 Edition
- Co-author (with Nick Gral and Anna E. Mallen), "Transportation Law Update," Iowa chapter, ALFA International Transportation Law Compendium, 2022 Edition
- Co-author (with Nick Gral and Anna E. Mallen), "Transportation Law Update," Iowa chapter, ALFA International Transportation Law Compendium, 2021 Edition
- Presenter, "Trending Topics in Transportation," ALFA International Webinar, 2018
- Presenter (with Tom Reavely), "Litigating Vaccine Injury Claims in the National Vaccine Injury Compensation Program," Iowa Academy of Trial Lawyers, 2016
- ALFA International Transportation Go Team
- Trucking Industry Defense Association
- Transportation Lawyers Association
- Iowa State Bar Association
- Polk County Bar Association
- Blackstone Inn of Court
- Iowa Defense Counsel Association
- Greater Des Moines Partnership Calibrate Leadership Series, 2016
Honors & Recognitions
Honors & Recognitions
- Selected for inclusion in the Best Lawyers in America in the areas of Commercial Litigation, Construction Law, Insurance Law, Litigation - Construction, Transportation Law, Litigation - Insurance (Ones to Watch: 2022—2023)
- Polk County Bar Association Volunteer Lawyers Project: recognized for 50 or more pro bono work hours in 2016—2017
- In 2020, Zach was victorious in a case of first impression at the United States Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit in which the Federal Circuit agreed with him and held that the National Vaccine Injury Compensation Program’s three-year statute of limitations may be subject to equitable tolling when a petitioner’s mental incapacity causes or contributes to a petitioner’s delay in retaining an attorney to pursue a Vaccine Act claim.
University of Iowa College of Law, J.D., with distinction
University of Iowa, B.A., Political Science, Ethics and Public Policy
Northern District of Iowa
Southern District of Iowa
United States Court of Federal Claims