Guiding INDIVIDUALS AND BUSINESSES THROUGH DIFFICULT LEGAL ISSUES AND LAWSUITS
Zach Hermsen is an active trial attorney who represents individuals and businesses with legal issues and, when necessary, lawsuits. He has successfully tried jury and bench trials across Iowa and has a clear understanding of the many strategic considerations that factor into a favorable outcome in a legal case.
His business litigation experience includes the Iowa Business Specialty Court, which provides a forum for expedited and cost-conscious business litigation cases.
Zach represents individuals just as zealously as he represents his business clients. This includes representing Iowans in cases ranging from contract disputes, dog bites, automobile accidents, and property disputes.
He also represents individuals in the highly-specialized National Vaccine Injury Compensation Program. This Program, created by the Reagan Administration in the 1980s to save litigation costs for all parties involved in vaccine-related litigation, is a no-fault compensation scheme designed to quickly and fairly compensate persons who experience one of the extremely rare, but recognized, side effects from a vaccine.
National TRANSPORTATION Professional representation
Zach proudly represents transportation professionals throughout the United States that facilitate delivery of food, medicine, building materials, and other critical supplies to locations across the country. He is an active member of the ALFA International Transportation Group, offering a nationwide rapid-response team with the expertise to immediately and effectively respond to incidents should they arise.
- Member Attorney, Whitfield & Eddy Law, 2021 — present
- Associate Attorney, Whitfield & Eddy, P.L.C., 2015 — 2020
- Law Clerk, Whitfield & Eddy, P.L.C., 2013 — 2015
- Prosecuting Intern, Iowa City Attorney's Office, 2015
- Arkansas Trucking Seminar, October 2020
- Arkansas Trucking Seminar, October 2019
- ALFA International Transportation Practice Group Seminar, April 2019
- ALFA International Regional Transportation Seminar, February 2019
- Iowa State Bar Association Bench-Bar Conference, May 2018
- Defense Research Institute Trucking Law Seminar, April 2018
- American Board of Trial Advocates (ABOTA) Masters in Trial Seminar, May 2017
- Iowa Defense Counsel Association (IDCA) Deposition Bootcamp, October 2016
- Iowa State Bar Association Bench-Bar Conference, May 2016
- The Judges Speak: Civil Court Litigation Do's and Dont's, National Business Institute
News & Events
- Zach Hermsen Interviewed Following Victory in the United States Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit.03.09.2020
- Iowa Defense Counsel Association Defense Update, Winter 2018, 04.05.2018
- Iowa Defense Counsel Association Defense Update, Spring 2017, 04.01.2017
- American Bar Association Tort Trial & Insurance Practice (TIPS) Committee News Spring 2016, 04.28.2016
- Presenter, "Trending Topics in Transportation," ALFA International Webinar, 2018
- Presenter with Tom Reavely, "Litigating Vaccine Injury Claims in the National Vaccine Injury Compensation Program," Iowa Academy of Trial Lawyers, 2016
- Iowa State Bar Association
- Polk County Bar Association
- Blackstone Inn of Court
- Iowa Defense Counsel Association
- Greater Des Moines Partnership Calibrate Leadership Series, 2016
Honors & Recognitions
Honors & Recognitions
- Polk County Bar Association Volunteer Lawyers Project: recognized for 50 or more pro bono work hours in 2016—2017
- In 2020, Zach was victorious in a case of first impression at the United States Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit in which the Federal Circuit agreed with him and held that the National Vaccine Injury Compensation Program’s three-year statute of limitations may be subject to equitable tolling when a petitioner’s mental incapacity causes or contributes to a petitioner’s delay in retaining an attorney to pursue a Vaccine Act claim.
University of Iowa College of Law, J.D., 2015, with distinction
University of Iowa, B.A., Political Science, Ethics and Public Policy, 2012
Northern District of Iowa
Southern District of Iowa
United States Court of Federal Claims