Zach Hermsen is an active trial attorney who represents individuals and businesses in civil litigation. He has successfully tried jury and bench trials in jurisdictions across Iowa and has a clear understanding of the many strategic considerations that factor into a favorable outcome in a civil case.
His business litigation experience includes the newly established Iowa Business Specialty Court, which provides a forum for expedited and cost-conscious business litigation cases. He also defends over-the-road transportation companies in various matters.
He has an active practice representing clients who have suffered injuries resulting from vaccinations. The National Childhood Vaccine Injury Act of 1986 established the National Vaccine Injury Compensation Program as a monetary compensation program for persons suffering injury or death after receiving a vaccine. The highly specialized Vaccine Court lists Zach as an Iowa Vaccine Attorney. He presented to the Iowa Academy of Trial Lawyers in 2016 on important procedures and strategic considerations in vaccine injury cases.
Zach also maintains an active role in the community. The Iowa State Bar Association recognized him for providing 50+ hours of free legal services to underserved individuals in 2016—2017 through the Polk County Volunteer Lawyers Project.
- Associate Attorney, Whitfield & Eddy, P.L.C., 2015—present
- Law Clerk, Whitfield & Eddy, P.L.C., 2013—2015
- Prosecuting Intern, Iowa City Attorney's Office, 2015
Activities and Affiliations
- Iowa State Bar Association
- Polk County Bar Association
- Blackstone Inn of Court
- Iowa Defense Counsel Association
- Greater Des Moines Partnership Calibrate Leadership Series, 2016
- Iowa State Bar Association Bench-Bar Conference, May 2018
- Defense Research Institute Trucking Law Seminar, April 2018
- American Board of Trial Advocates (ABOTA) Masters in Trial Seminar, May 2017
- Iowa Defense Counsel Association (IDCA) Deposition Bootcamp, October 2016
- Iowa State Bar Association Bench-Bar Conference, May 2016
- The Judges Speak: Civil Court Litigation Do's and Dont's, National Business Institute
News & Events
- Iowa Defense Counsel Association Defense Update, Winter 2018, 04.05.2018
- Iowa Defense Counsel Association Defense Update, Spring 2017, 04.01.2017
- American Bar Association Tort Trial & Insurance Practice (TIPS) Committee News Spring 2016, 04.28.2016
Honors & Recognitions
Honors & Recognitions
- Polk County Bar Association Volunteer Lawyers Project: recognized for 50 or more pro bono work hours in 2016—2017
- Presenter with Tom Reavely, "Litigating Vaccine Injury Claims in the National Vaccine Injury Compensation Program," Iowa Academy of Trial Lawyers, 2016
University of Iowa College of Law, J.D., 2015, with distinction
University of Iowa, B.A., Political Science, Ethics and Public Policy, 2012
Northern District of Iowa
Southern District of Iowa
Court of Federal Claims