James Andersen is a member of the firm’s litigation practice group and represents clients in civil matters including labor and employment, business and commerce, municipal, real estate, construction, administration, energy and environmental law.
James brings five years of experience as a judicial law clerk for district and appellate courts in Iowa and Nebraska and has a deep insight into litigation strategy and judicial decision-making, from first filing to final appeal. This provided him the opportunity to work on a wide variety of substantial litigated matters for judges and justices through drafting appellate opinions and district court decisions, analyzing complex factual and legal issues, and presenting independent analysis and recommendations. His focused and detailed approach is based on years of work within our courts providing him a thorough understanding of the process and work product necessary for the bench.
Prior to joining the firm, James was an Appellate Law Clerk at the Nebraska Supreme Court for the Honorable Jeffrey J. Funke from 2018 to 2020. He served as an Appellate Law Clerk at the Nebraska Court of Appeals for the Honorable Everett O. Inbody (retired) and the Honorable Lawrence E. Welch, Jr. in the 2017 to 2018 term. He also was a Judicial Law Clerk for the Iowa District Court in the Third Judicial District from 2015 to 2016 and the First Judicial District in 2017.
James received his J.D. from the University of Iowa College of Law in 2015. While attending law school, he was Articles Editor for the Journal of Gender, Race & Justice and Contributing Editor and Student Writer for the Journal of Corporation Law. He had internships with the Honorable Robert Pratt of the United States District Court for the Southern District of Iowa and the Environmental Protection Agency, Office of Enforcement and Compliance Assurance. At the Environmental Protection Agency, he drafted guidance documents from agency rules, enforcement checklists, and compliance memoranda. He received his B.A. from Creighton University in English and Philosophy in 2012.
James is a member of the Environmental and Natural Resources Law Section Council of the Iowa State Bar Association.
- Associate Attorney, Whitfield & Eddy Law, 2020—present
- Appellate Law Clerk, Nebraska Supreme Court, 2018—2020
- Appellate Law Clerk, Nebraska Court of Appeals, 2017—2018
- Judicial Law Clerk, Iowa District Court, 2015—2017
- Iowa State Bar Association Annual Meeting, June 2021
- Iowa State Bar Association Federal Practice Seminar, December 2020
- Labor & Employment Law Seminar, Iowa State Bar Association, November 2020
News & Events
Events & Speaking Engagements
- Iowa State Bar Association (Environmental and Natural Resources Law Section Council)
Honors & Recognitions
Honors & Recognitions
- Polk County Bar Association Volunteer Lawyers Project: recognized for pro bono work hours in 2020—2021.
- Co-Presenter, "Civil Rights Update, Retaliation Claims," Whitfield & Eddy Virtual Labor & Employment Client Seminar, May 2021
University of Iowa College of Law, J.D., 2015
Creighton University, B.A., English and Philosophy, 2012