Tyler Coe is known for his approachable demeanor and awareness of the many factors that come into play in each case. High conflict cases and financial matters are key areas of emphasis for Tyler. He thoroughly analyzes and collaborates with clients to understand and get to the bottom of complicated relationships.
As a family lawyer, he is experienced in managing cases involving divorce, child custody, modifications, and high conflict disputes. He is familiar with the unique needs in mid-to-high asset divorce. He routinely represents young professionals, established professionals, business owners, executives, and stay-at-home spouses. He works closely with financial advisors, accountants, and therapists to provide a full spectrum of services and assistance for clients.
He focuses his practice on families and the personal needs they may have both during and after dissolution. He is able to assist in matters involving children and can help establish plans that prepare for their future. For Tyler, family also includes pets and the custody issues families face regarding custody.
In addition to divorce and family law, Tyler provides advisement and litigation and litigation services to mental health professionals regarding records, best practices regarding document management, and subpoenas. Business owners and individuals often call on Tyler’s judgment to connect them with other attorneys in the firm. These areas include business matters, general litigation, real estate transactions, and ongoing legal needs.
Tyler is trained collaborative divorce for clients who wish to resolve their family law matters outside of litigation and the county courthouse. Collaborative divorce involves an open exchange of information and utilizes a problem-solving approach to avoid the conflict and uncertainty found in contested litigation matters. As requested by clients, mental health professionals and certified financial planners can be included in the process.
Tyler’s community involvement includes serving on a non-profit board that was ranked on Business Record’s Book of Lists as one of the top-25 most influential boards in the Des Moines metro area and the Downtown Des Moines Chamber of Commerce. Currently, Tyler serves as president of a non-profit board dedicated to children’s mental health. He regularly provides media outlets and professional organizations with commentary on Iowa law.
- Iowa State Bar Association Annual Meeting, June 2021
- Introductory Interdisciplinary Collaborative Divorce Training, International Academy of Collaborative Professionals, May 2021
- Family Law Seminar, Iowa State Bar Association, October 2020
- Family Law Seminar, Iowa State Bar Association, October 2019
- American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers and Business Valuation Resources National Divorce Conference, Las Vegas, NV, May 2019
- Family Law Seminar, Iowa State Bar Association, October 2018
- Iowa State Bar Association Bench-Bar Conference, May 2018
- Family Law Mediation Training, Des Moines, IA, January 2018
- Iowa State Bar Association Family Law Seminar, October 2017
- American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers Institute for Family Law Associates, Chicago, IL, June 2016
News & Events
- Divorce, Family Law and Employment Update: Roll Up Your Sleeve (COVID-19 Vaccines, Vaccines and Iowa Law)01.25.2021
- Divorce and Family Law News: Canine Care During the Pandemic, Work From Home, Return To Work and More08.28.2020
- Best Lawyers In America, 08.20.2020
- Divorce and Family Law News: Simply a visitor? Understand terminology for formal and informal child custody.03.04.2020
- The Iowa Lawyer , 10.13.2019
- The Iowa Lawyer, 06.19.2019
- Divorce and Family Law News: Tyler Coe Interviewed on Iowa Public Radio About Federal Government Shutdown and Family Law01.14.2019
Events & Speaking Engagements
- Webinar, 06.24.2020
- Altoona, Iowa, 11.02.2019
- Des Moines, Iowa, 10.16.2019
- Des Moines, Iowa, 10.16.2019
- The Iowa Lawyer, 08.04.2020
Public Speaking and Commentary
- Panelist, "Interrupting Bias, Welcoming Diversity and Reclaiming Civility: Making the Iowa Bar Truly Welcoming and Inclusive," Iowa State Bar Association Annual Meeting, June 2021
- Presenter, "Withholding Orders - Employer Best Practices," Whitfield & Eddy Virtual Labor & Employment Client Seminar, May 2021
- Speaker, "Health, Wellness, and the Practice of Law," Polk County Bar Association General Practice CLE, May 2021
- Speaker, "Work and Wellness," Jack D. Levin Family Law American Inn of Court Meeting, May 2021
- Speaker, "Be Well!" Government Practice Seminar, Iowa State Bar Association Government Practice Section, May 2021
- Speaker, "Divorce, Custody, and Family Law Issues – What’s a Council To Do?" Iowa Extension Council Association, April 2021
- Speaker, "Work and Wellness," Polk County Bar Association Solo and Small Firm Section, April 2021
- Speaker, "Ethics: COVID-19 Stress and Self-Care," Iowa State Bar Association Juvenile Law Webinar, April 2021
- Commentator, "Divorce and the Marital Home" Clear Mortgage Video Blog, April 2021
- Speaker, "Our Mental Health," Lincoln Inne of Court, March 2021
- Discussion co-facilitator, "21-Day Racial Equity Habit-Building Challenge," Iowa State Bar Association Young Lawyers Division, February, 2021.
- Speaker, "Healthy for the Holidays: Ethics in light of COVID-19, Mental and Physical Health” Blackstone Inn of Court, December 2020.
- Speaker, "Kids, Custody and COVID-19” Iowa State Bar Association and Drake Law School CLE, November 2020.
- Speaker, "2020: Ethics and Mental Health” Polk County Bar Association and Drake Law School CLE, November 2020.
- Speaker, "Tools for Schools: Co-Parenting Tips and Tricks from a Divorce Lawyer" Iowa School Counselor Association, November, 2020.
- Speaker, "Mental Health Professionals: In or Out of Court," Mosaic Central Iowa, October 2020.
- Speaker, “2020: The Year of Therapy,” Central Iowa Supervision Partnership, September 2020.
- Speaker, "Family Law From Start to Finish," and "Your Mental Health," Virtual Bridge the Gap Seminar, Iowa State Bar Association, September, 2020
- Speaker, "Your Mental Health," Polk County Bar Association, September, 2020
- Author, “Building Relationships Builds Law Practices,” The Iowa Lawyer, Iowa State Bar Association, August 2020.
- Commentator, "How Do Divorced Parents With Shared Custody Decide on Their Child's Return to School?," WOI Channel 5 News, July 2020
- Speaker, "Mental Health Post-Pandemic: Attorneys, Staff, and Clients," Iowa State Bar Association Webinar, June 2020.
Speaker, “COVID-19 Families: Strategies for Mental Health Professionals,” Central Iowa Supervision Partnership and Iowa Mental Health Counselors Association, April 2020.
Author, “Cover Your Firm, Your Clients and Your Cough: Remote Lawyering in Family Law Cases,” The Iowa Lawyer, Iowa State Bar Association, April 2020.
- Commentator, "Child Custody Issues Increase As Iowans Try To Avoid COVID-19," Iowa Public Radio, April 2020
- Speaker, “Assisting Family Law Clients with COVID-19 Related Issues,” Iowa State Bar Association, April 2020
Speaker, "Divorce and Custody; Dealing with Parents, Kids, and Lawyers," Iowa School Counselor Association 2019 Annual Conference, November 2019
Speaker, "Know Your Rights!" Please Pass the Love – 2019 Stomp Out Stigma Youth Mental Health Conference, Des Moines, Iowa, October 2019
Speaker, "Legal and Ethical Considerations," Central Iowa Supervision Partnership Fall Conference, Des Moines, Iowa, October 2019
- Speaker, "Yours, Mine or Ours? Gifted and Inherited Property in Divorce," Iowa State Bar Association webinar, August 2019
- Speaker, "Divorce & Family Law Legislative Update," Iowa Mental Health Counselors Association 13th Annual Conference, May 2019
- Speaker and panelist, "Varnum and Beyond: The Protection of Fundamental Rights in the Decade since Varnum v. Brien," Blackstone Inn of Court, April 2019
- Commentator, "Proposed Joint Physical Care Legislation in Iowa," WOI Channel 5 News, March 2019
- Faculty Presenter, "Business Assets in Divorce: Overcoming Top Challenges," National Business Institute national webinar, March 2019
- Commentator, "Federal Government Shutdown Effects on Family Law Clients," Iowa Public Radio River to River, January, 2019
- Keynote Speaker, "Ethics," Central Iowa Supervision Partnership Fall Conference, Johnston, Iowa, September 2018
- Guest Speaker, "Divorce Beneficiary Designations for Insurance Agents," New York Life Insurance Company, Ankeny, Iowa, July 2018
Commentator, "Masterpiece Cakeshop United States Supreme Court Ruling," WOI-TV 5 News (ABC affiliate), June 2018
Guest Speaker, "Masterpiece Cakeshop case before the United States Supreme Court," American Constitution Society, Drake Outlaws, and Drake Law School, Des Moines, Iowa, June 2018
- Adjunct Professor, Law Constitutes A Family, Drake University, Des Moines, IA, 2018
- Polk County Bar Association
- Membership Committee Chair, 2021
- Iowa State Bar Association
- Member, Family & Juvenile Law Section Council, 2018—2019, 2020—2021
- Editor/Contributor ISBA Family Law Manual 2017
- Barrister, Blackstone Inn of Court
- Associate, Jack D. Levin Family Law American Inn of Court
- Please Pass the Love, President (July 2020—present), Vice President (December 2019—July 2020), Member, Board of Directors, (July 2019—present)
Honors & Recognitions
Honors & Recognitions
- Business Record Forty Under 40, Class of 2021
- Selected for inclusion in the Best Lawyers in America in the area of Family Law (Ones to Watch: 2021)
- Selected for inclusion in the Great Plains Super Lawyers in the area of Family Law (Rising Stars: 2020)
- Polk County Bar Association Volunteer Lawyers Project: recognized for pro bono work hours in 2018—2019
A BEACON FOR HOPE FOR US
Tyler Coe was a beacon of hope for us at a time when our options appeared limited and the likelihood of a satisfactory resolution seemed unlikely. He had a calm and empathetic demeanor while offering practical guidance through a difficult divorce. We are grateful for his service and very pleased with the results. We recommend Mr. Coe without reservation.
- Former high conflict divorce client
It was an absolute pleasure working with Tyler
Tyler Coe and the Whitfield & Eddy Law staff were very helpful and responsive to all my questions and concerns. Tyler provided an excellent service and displayed full knowledge and professionalism in all legal matters. He went above and beyond and made me feel confident in trusting him with a very stressful situation. I would highly recommend him and the Whitfield & Eddy Law firm staff to other perspective clients!
-Former client with child custody and support matters
amazing in my divorce case
He truly listened to what I wanted and how I wanted things handled moving forward. He clearly communicated throughout the whole process and even after it was all said and done. I have reached out to him pertaining to other legal matters and Tyler has always given me solid/useful options for any further help I have needed even if it wasn’t in his wheelhouse. I appreciate the “extra” work/effort he has always put on the table when it comes to helping me! I’m proud to call Tyler my friend even when he isn’t my lawyer.
-Former client with divorce and child custody matters
a very knowledgeable and compassionate attorney
As a Mental Health professional in the Des Moines area I often have clients looking for a kind and smart attorney to help them in a high-conflict divorce. Tyler is a strong recommendation. He has a profound understanding of what is needed when dealing with a "bully" in a soon-to-be-ex. He has served a number of my clients to a successful and comfortable outcome during a very difficult time.